Main Menu

ReHIPSUser folders

Started by Itay, May 31, 2019, 09:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itay

Hi! I've started using ReHIPS as a sandbox and I love it! Sandboxie had compatibility issues with some programs but ReHIPS works with absolutely all of them.
I have a question about the ReHIPSUser folders - why are there 6 of them and can they be moved to another partition? I can't seem to find that in the settings.
I also have another question which has nothing to do with the main subject of the thread - if I set protection to disabled so I can use ReHIPS as a standalone sandbox, would that be fine?

shmu26

Hi Itay,
there is a separate rehips folder for each isolated environment, this is not so different from the behavior in Sandboxie if you created several separate sandboxes.

If you want to use rehips for sandboxing and not for anti-exe, I think the "permissive" mode is most suited to that. If you set it as disabled, then programs will not launch sandboxed. But already running programs will still be in their respective sandboxes.

fixer

Hello Itay and welcome to our forum.

Thank you for kind words :)

Each isolated environment has a corrensponding ReHIPS user. And each ReHIPS user has its own user home folder. We work on redirecting ReHIPS users home folders into ReHIPS folder so all ReHIPS-related files will reside in one folder. And on making this folder movable. As some of these folders are Windows-managed, it takes some effort. But we're working on it, so it should be implemented eventually.

Disabled ReHIPS will only isolate programs you explicitly tell it to execute in isolation by right mouse button click. All programs started the usual way will run as if no ReHIPS is present. So yeah, the best way is to use Permissive Mode, programs in the ReHIPS database will be processed according to their rules, all unknown programs will be allowed without any questions.

shmu26

@fixer: thanks for your preview of good things to come

Itay

Thank you @shmu26 and @fixer! It makes sense now :D

shmu26

Feel free to ask!
צהריים טובים

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on June 02, 2019, 11:46:10 AM
Each isolated environment has a corrensponding ReHIPS user. And each ReHIPS user has its own user home folder. We work on redirecting ReHIPS users home folders into ReHIPS folder so all ReHIPS-related files will reside in one folder. And on making this folder movable. As some of these folders are Windows-managed, it takes some effort. But we're working on it, so it should be implemented eventually.
Wow. Can't wait for this feature!

I want to try it as soon as possible. I like to move Sandboxie's container to a RAM disk and want to do the same with ReHIPS.
How about a beta which I can test?

fixer

It requires some driver modifications which should be done very carefully. And it also requires thorough internal testing. So it takes some time. But sure, when beta version for the external testing is ready, I'll contact you.

Itay

Quote from: shmu26 on June 03, 2019, 01:19:44 PM
Feel free to ask!
צהריים טובים
שלום and thanks for your help, good to see a fellow Israeli here :D

@fixer - I am wondering if there is a way to save files which were created by isolated programs to a folder in the ReHIPS directory. Right now ReHIPS saves every file created in any folder in the user directory but if an isolated program creates a file in any other place (For instance somewhere on the C: drive) it won't be saved unless I give the isolated environment access to the folder which I don't want to do because I want to isolate it.

fixer

ReHIPS redirects any access to real user profile folder into isolated user profile folder. Other access attemps aren't redirected. So it's up to the program where it wants to save files. It's usually possible to choose folders for files like where to save downloaded files. And the best way to exchange files with isolated environments is to use ReHIPS directory.

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on June 28, 2019, 08:43:18 AMIt requires some driver modifications which should be done very carefully. And it also requires thorough internal testing. So it takes some time. But sure, when beta version for the external testing is ready, I'll contact you.
Do you have a beta version for this feature already?

fixer

Driver should be ready for this feature, other components still need some work though.