Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozone

just installed rehips,
and I've noticed that when you check Install initial rules (or something like that) in installer, rules will be installed after rehips run,
but I have to wait around 30s until window with installing rules appear, so won't it be better to implement it to installer window or make some notice/warning message that initial rules are not yet installed

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on December 29, 2016, 09:23:42 PM
just installed rehips,
and I've noticed that when you check Install initial rules (or something like that) in installer, rules will be installed after rehips run,
but I have to wait around 30s until window with installing rules appear, so won't it be better to implement it to installer window or make some notice/warning message that initial rules are not yet installed
You don't have to do anything else after you click install rules so no reason for a warning. Gui that pops up immediately is saying installing rules while it's installing(check image linked).
http://i.imgur.com/Bwb01nj.png

The initial rule installation windows when it appears tells you to not close it and wait(check image linked).
http://i.imgur.com/qTP4z3O.png

I believe everything is covered

Ozone

ok I just didn't expect that it suddenly appear after a while

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on December 29, 2016, 09:49:15 PM
ok I just didn't expect that it suddenly appear after a while
I see what you mean. It's basically because rehips installer when you select install rules calls rulepack and that does the rule installing. The cmd alike windows you see if rule pack.

When you do the rule install from the gui no windows appear. I assume reason that devs made the window visible the first time is because you need to somehow know things are getting installed(the first rule install takes a few seconds).

Ozone

is it normal that internet explorer will run isolated, if I launch it directly from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or via shorcut, but it won't run isolated if it's open by another program, e.g. if you click on  Order Licence in rehips registration window

internet explorer is set to be default browser (but I don't use it)

btw it is possible to somehow get notifications of windows notifications (from tray icons) and flashing icons in main desktop or other program message, because when I am working in virtual desktop I won't find out that something is happening in main desktop until I return back to it

also how does rehips handle different locale,
let's say that I will need to install non-unicode program in differet locale
I will need to change my locale to that language and then reboot, after I will install program and then run it in newly created isolated environment after I am done I will change my locale back to default and reboot

so my question is:
If that isolated environment will retain different locale setting and I will be able to run and work with my program with default locale or I will still have to change locale and reboot

another question is how does rehips work with applocale

tia

aDVll

Quoteis it normal that internet explorer will run isolated, if I launch it directly from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or via shorcut, but it won't run isolated if it's open by another program, e.g. if you click on  Order Licence in rehips registration window

It's because the program that launches IE is set to execute programs not isolated(allow). If you want a program to launch other programs based on your already set rules(in your example isolated) the execute programs needs to be set to inspect children.
http://i.imgur.com/RmUiCnR.png

Quotebtw it is possible to somehow get notifications of windows notifications (from tray icons) and flashing icons in main desktop or other program message, because when I am working in virtual desktop I won't find out that something is happening in main desktop until I return back to it
It's already added in the next version of rehips.

Quotealso how does rehips handle different locale,
I will need to change my locale to that language and then reboot, after I will install program and then run it in newly created isolated environment after I am done I will change my locale back to default and reboot

so my question is:
If that isolated environment will retain different locale setting and I will be able to run and work with my program with default locale or I will still have to change locale and reboot

tia
I never tried such thing but i would assume it will launch as the locale it would run if not isolated by rehips. The program probably somehow saves what locale to use in it's settings folder which rehips doesn't mess with. Rehips just launches the program isolated as another user. If you try it you can tell us how it went.  ;)

Ozone

Quote from: aDVll on December 30, 2016, 09:05:19 PM
Quoteis it normal that internet explorer will run isolated, if I launch it directly from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe or via shorcut, but it won't run isolated if it's open by another program, e.g. if you click on  Order Licence in rehips registration window

It's because the program that launches IE is set to execute programs not isolated(allow). If you want a program to launch other programs based on your already set rules(in your example isolated) the execute programs needs to be set to inspect children.

Quotebtw it is possible to somehow get notifications of windows notifications (from tray icons) and flashing icons in main desktop or other program message, because when I am working in virtual desktop I won't find out that something is happening in main desktop until I return back to it

so my question is:

tia
I never tried such thing but i would assume it will launch as the locale it would run if not isolated by rehips. The program probably somehow saves what locale to use in it's settings folder which rehips doesn't mess with. Rehips just launches the program isolated as another user. If you try it you can tell us how it went.  ;)

thx
I will try next time

btw
do you need to edit some setting, if you want to run browser (or another programs) protected by one another security program (e.g. emet, mbae or HMPA, ...)

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on December 30, 2016, 09:46:12 PM
Quote from: aDVll on December 30, 2016, 09:05:19 PM

so my question is:

tia

thx
I will try next time

btw
do you need to edit some setting, if you want to run browser (or another programs) protected by one another security program (e.g. emet, mbae or HMPA, ...)
No you don't need to do anything in rehips. About HMPA i know you need to add exceptions for rehips(rehips gui, agent, service) in the exploit mitigation module or else the system and rehips has weird behaviour. About the rest of the programs i don't think so but if you notice anything weird try exceptions for rehips first.

Ozone

how does rehips check which program is installed on PC

I have firefox installed on non-system disk partition with profile folder on other non-system partition

and rehips won't recognize I have firefox when installing rules

which 3rd-party programs are included in initial rules, is there list?

if rehips won't recognize the program is installed, it is possible to add option to manually apply rules with recommended setting from initial rule pack to that specific program

also
is there some security advantage if I use option Use Separate Desktop

will there be option to display border only when mouse is in window title and change color

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on December 31, 2016, 03:15:02 PM
how does rehips check which program is installed on PC

I have firefox installed on non-system disk partition with profile folder on other non-system partition

and rehips won't recognize I have firefox when installing rules

which 3rd-party programs are included in initial rules, is there list?

if rehips won't recognize the program is installed, it is possible to add option to manually apply rules with recommended setting from initial rule pack to that specific program

also
is there some security advantage if I use option Use Separate Desktop

will there be option to display border only when mouse is in window title and change color
If the program is not in the install program list and registry rehips can't figure out it's there. It doesn't scan all your pc to see if it finds something. You can create rules for Firefox manually and run it isolated though.
About default rules when you create rules for portable firefox it applies those. In firefox though you can remove hook control and different desktop because it's not needed.
Different desktop is only needed if hook control has to be enabled for an isolated program to work. When you have hook control enabled to have the same level of protection you need to enable different desktop.

Next releases will have something called rule pack which is an editable list of programs you use on your pc so you can for example change the firefox rules to include portable firefox in a specific location you have. Can't list all the programs that run isolated but it's most popular browsers and some office application and pdf applications.

About autohide border a developer will need to answer you but for color and size the option was there on 2.1 and was removed so probably not. You can change it manually though from settings.xml(color is RGB but not sure on the format so devs needs to tell you but you can do size easily) in rehips install folder.

fixer

You mean like in Sandboxie? That can be implemented, but is there any use for this? Personally I never used this feature. Am I missing something?

Ozone

Quote from: fixer on December 31, 2016, 08:58:34 PM
You mean like in Sandboxie? That can be implemented, but is there any use for this? Personally I never used this feature. Am I missing something?

let's say, I would like to take some screenshot (for guide, ...), and I usually use red frame to specify location, button, ...,  so it can be confusing for my friends,
solution is to disable border, but still I would like to quickly determine if current program does run isolated

btw
licence is for one PC, right,
if I am multibooting can I use one licence for multiple OS, or do I need to order more licences

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on January 01, 2017, 01:11:13 PM
Quote from: fixer on December 31, 2016, 08:58:34 PM

let's say, I would like to take some screenshot (for guide, ...), and I usually use red frame to specify location, button, ...,  so it can be confusing for my friends,
solution is to disable border, but still I would like to quickly determine if current program does run isolated

btw
licence is for one PC, right,
if I am multibooting can I use one licence for multiple OS, or do I need to order more licences
Just don't focus the window when taking the screenshot and it will not have a red frame.

Ozone

Quote from: aDVll on January 01, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
Just don't focus the window when taking the screenshot and it will not have a red frame.

forgot about that, but still there is problem with menu bar

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on January 02, 2017, 08:10:07 PM
Quote from: aDVll on January 01, 2017, 01:17:20 PM

forgot about that, but still there is problem with menu bar
Correct. In such case that you need to make tutorials then i guess go in setting and disable the border.