Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbra

More apps are isolated, more users ReHIPS creates.  Users are not based on your Windows's number of user accounts but of the number of Isolated Environment.

1 Isolated Environment = 1 ReHIPSuser

paulderdash

Apologies this is a noob question and may have been addressed before in these 30 pages.

IIRC when I installed RC2 I had 3 ReHIPSUser accounts. When I received the link to RC4, I uninstalled RC2 and settings and installed RC4. I now have 8 ReHipsUser accounts of which 5, 6, 7 and 8 seem to be 'active' for Chrome, IE and Firefox.

Is it possible to delete the other earlier users (now seemingly unused) either through ReHIPs or some other means, or doesn't it matter - will they get reused at some point?

Umbra

You can delete the old users, anyway ReHIPS will create new IEs/users for the apps concerned.

paulderdash

Could be a coincidence, but after installing RC4 I have had a slew of 'DPC Watchdog Violation' BSODs and a general slow-down, so I have decided to roll back.
I like the idea of ReHIPS, so will no doubt embark on the 'learning curve' again, when I'm feeling stronger  :)

XhenEd

Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 12:38:09 PM
Could be a coincidence, but after installing RC4 I have had a slew of 'DPC Watchdog Violation' BSODs and a general slow-down, so I have decided to roll back.
I like the idea of ReHIPS, so will no doubt embark on the 'learning curve' again, when I'm feeling stronger  :)
That's the kind of issues that must be posted. If you feel that ReHIPS has something to do with the BSODs, then report that here for further investigations. :)

paulderdash

All I did was install ReHIPS RC4 and when I go back to previous image problem is gone.
But that BSOD seems to be an SSD-related driver issue. I don't have an SSD on that machine, and I doubt ReHIPS implements or modifies any drivers.
So it is probably something else ... unless someone else can replicate.

Umbra

Quote from: XhenEd on March 02, 2017, 02:03:34 PM
Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 12:38:09 PM
That's the kind of issues that must be posted. If you feel that ReHIPS has something to do with the BSODs, then report that here for further investigations. :)

That is the point of beta testing, get issues and report them, not just using a product then when you have issues uninstalling the soft and move on.
Devs offers beta demos especially for that, so other users won't get it next time. especially when the stable release is near.

Create a thread, describe your system (OS, security softs installed) , describe when the issue appeared, on what conditions (what you did to get it), etc...

paulderdash

OK. I just rolled back to earlier image to see if I still got the BSODs, and hopefully back in working order. So I've lost the dump infos now.
I will retry ReHIPS when I have more time, and if I get the same issue I will post a new thread.
FWIW it was on Win 10 Pro x64 v1607 14393.693 - WD | ZAL | Reason CS | VS | MB3 AE | AppCheck | Adguard | Sbie (not active) | Glasswire | Secure Folders
but not sure under what conditions, looked like while loading Firefox, but not always.

Umbra

Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 02:59:59 PM
FWIW it was on Win 10 Pro x64 v1607 14393.693 - WD | ZAL | Reason CS | VS | MB3 AE | AppCheck | Adguard | Sbie (not active) | Glasswire | Secure Folders
but not sure under what conditions, looked like while loading Firefox, but not always.

That is a lot of security Apps , and i see:

- Sandboxie: not a good idea, even if inactive, the drivers are still present.
- MBAE which surely inject dlls into ReHIPS process and may be the cause of the BSODS as HMPA did before for me.

Ozone

Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 02:24:00 PM
All I did was install ReHIPS RC4 and when I go back to previous image problem is gone.
But that BSOD seems to be an SSD-related driver issue. I don't have an SSD on that machine, and I doubt ReHIPS implements or modifies any drivers.

that BSOD can be also caused by graphic or sound card, in your case I think it's related to sound card, ReHIPS has some issues with some drivers, I would try to update driver or use generic from Microsoft

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on March 02, 2017, 04:56:00 PM
Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 02:24:00 PM

that BSOD can be also caused by graphic or sound card, in your case I think it's related to sound card, ReHIPS has some issues with some drivers, I would try to update driver or use generic from Microsoft
What drivers does rehips has issues with? Rehips doesn't mess with other drivers especially sound except if you disable microphone from rehips settings which then disables your whole audio card.

Anw without a dump file nothing can be done and guessing doesn't help.

fixer

Quote from: Ozone on March 02, 2017, 04:56:00 PM
There indeed are some issues with some sound card drivers. But they aren't ReHIPS-related and can't cause BSOD. It's just simple user-mode request polling status of sound devices takes some time to complete eating CPU, a lot more time than on default Windows driver. So it's not some incompatibility with ReHIPS and I don't think it can cause BSOD. Anyway I'm afraid I won't be able to advise or say something specific without dump.

Ozone

you know that I have issue with cpu usage for svchost, @fixer already know why

Quote from: fixer
CPU usage is indeed the issue, we also noticed it on one of our test PCs. The root of the problem are some vendor drivers that take some time to process requests unlike default Windows drivers.

in @paulderdash case it may or may not relate to it
EDIT:
ok
so it's probably not caused by ReHIPS
IIRC my friend has same BSOD, he's said that he has to update some driver to fix it

btw
@fixer
could you add option to refresh database, I am using portable apps, and when I don't have USB flash connected to PC, ReHIPS will show file not found, but after connecting it will still show file not found, unless I restart GUI

Tarnak

Quote from: aDVll on March 02, 2017, 05:01:04 PM

What drivers does rehips has issues with? Rehips doesn't mess with other drivers especially sound except if you disable microphone from rehips settings which then disables your whole audio card.

I certainly can attest to that, when I disabled the microphone through settings in ReHips. But, I fixed as per the screenshots, attached.

aDVll

Quote from: Tarnak on March 02, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
Quote from: aDVll on March 02, 2017, 05:01:04 PM

I certainly can attest to that, when I disabled the microphone through settings in ReHips. But, I fixed as per the screenshots, attached.

It's be design though. There is no other elegant way to disable the microphone.