Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbra

installed ReHIPS on Win10 Spring Creators Update, no issues so far, except some occasional "service link is busy" popup at the beginning but now seems it is ok; also maybe it is placebo but i feel ReHIPS seems to load a bit slower. Nothing serious though.

Edit: non-issue, seems Win10 sometimes forget to log-off users while rebooting/shutting Down.

aDVll

Quote from: Umbra on April 08, 2018, 07:53:24 PM
installed ReHIPS on Win10 Spring Creators Update, no issues so far, except some occasional "service link is busy" popup at the beginning but now seems it is ok; also maybe it is placebo but i feel ReHIPS seems to load a bit slower. Nothing serious though.
Used any of the new security settings buddy? If MS doesn't push the upgrade tomorrow i will have to find a link and manually do it as i see everyone posting about the new goodies and i am on my old crap.  :( :'(

Umbra

Quote from: aDVll on April 09, 2018, 11:24:57 AM
Quote from: Umbra on April 08, 2018, 07:53:24 PM
Used any of the new security settings buddy? If MS doesn't push the upgrade tomorrow i will have to find a link and manually do it as i see everyone posting about the new goodies and i am on my old crap.  :( :'(

the Core Isolation feature (aka virtualization security) can't be turned OFF if turned ON. except that, nothing special, just a redesigned WDSC.
Some Device Security features are enabled if you have the right hardware.

Reset

Hi. I hope to know that with Rehips installed, would it be essential to disable the protection of Rehips during the system updates? Would it be possible that Rehips blocks the updates and causes stability issues? It seems that some other security products could actually cause problems during the system updates (e.g. https://malwaretips.com/threads/novirusthanks-osarmor.78195/page-51#post-728029).

Thank you :)

shmu26

It's always a good idea to disable security apps when updating, but ReHIPS is better prepared than most for a smooth update, even if you don't. This is because there is a separate set of rules for System, it lets the system do what it needs to do.

fixer

Hello, Reset.
We haven't seen or got any reports that ReHIPS blocks Windows updates. The vast majority of them are Microsoft signed. This along with default rules should provide most updates installation without any alerts. You may see some alerts though, just allow them and it'll be OK.
The only thing is Lock-Down Mode that can interfere. But like I wrote in one of blogposts this is tricky mode and it should be enabled only when you know what you're doing.

Umbra

Quote from: Reset on April 27, 2018, 07:11:49 PM
Hi. I hope to know that with Rehips installed, would it be essential to disable the protection of Rehips during the system updates? Would it be possible that Rehips blocks the updates and causes stability issues?
never had any issues while updating Windows

Reset

Thanks to all of you for your replies  :D

Quote from: shmu26 on April 28, 2018, 09:08:25 PM
It's always a good idea to disable security apps when updating

I ever heard that Win10 Home could install the updates automatically with no prompt (I am not using Win10 now so I am not sure). If it is true, one may not be able to disable the security apps in advance. I also often worry about the case that I forgot to turn on the security apps after the updates. 

Quote from: fixer on April 28, 2018, 09:09:26 PM
You may see some alerts though, just allow them and it'll be OK.

Sometimes the installation of the updates happens during the shutdown/startup period of the operation system. In those periods, the user cannot answer any alerts. In such case, would everything still be fine?

Quote from: Umbra on April 29, 2018, 07:28:21 AM
never had any issues while updating Windows

Your config (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-your-security-setup-these-days.111264/page-1569#post-2748497) shows that you are using the Lockdown mode of Rehips. Does this mean that Rehips in Lockdown Mode has not interfered the windows updates on your machine?

shmu26

Hi, it's true that on Windows 10, an update is likely to be downloaded and installed in the background. But it is pretty unlikely that ReHIPS will cause problems. This is especially true with updates that are installed during shutdown/startup. ReHIPS will not interfere with those updates, because your programs -- including ReHIPS -- are not running.

If you don't like to turn ReHIPS off, so just let your updates run normally, and don't worry, everything will go okay. :) If an update fails, then you should turn off all your security, and try again. But usually it fails for another reason, not because of ReHIPS.

The danger with lockdown mode is mainly what happens AFTER the update: if there is a new file or two that was installed, and it needs whitelisting, it could cause hiccups with your desktop loading properly.
This has happened to me -- Umbra can probably tell you more about that. 

Umbra

Reset

Tarnak

I have started getting Error code:DPC_Watchdog_Violation since early September, but some days it occurs more often. Like half a dozen times a day, and soon after bootup.

I have tried many of recommended things, that you find when googling to try and fix the problem. But, nothing has worked!

However, in the past 24 hours, I decided to try something, else. This was to exit ReHIPS, soon after loading at startup. This has stopped the DPC_Watchdog_Violation problem, for the moment.   These are shown in Windows: Mini Dumps, and the "Reliability Monitor" in Windows 10.

P.S.  I found some reference to the DPC_Watchdog_Violation previously, by @paulderdash - https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg12948#msg12948

fixer

The @paulderdash issue is GlassWire-related https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg13229#msg13229 or https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=7863 So it has nothing to do with ReHIPS.

If you think your issue is different, could you please enable full kernel memory dump https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/enabling-a-kernel-mode-dump-file and send me the dump when it BSODs again? Hopefully it'll let us find the root of the problem.

Tarnak

I tried following instructions, but those seem to apply to Window 8, and it is different for Windows 10 Pro.  I got into Advanced Recovery, but from there. the options to choose were just too many!   And, I didn't want too risk it, i.e. choosing the wrong one.

However, using an old Nirsoft utility[BlueScreen Viewer] that I had used in the past when running my now defunct XP desktop, and which now is installed on my Surface Book laptop, it shows the recent BSOD's: 

fixer

According to the screenshot, looks like it's igdkmd64.sys fault, it's for Intel graphics, and google has some entries for this.

But it's hard to be sure by the screenshot, the best way is to send me the kernel memory dump file. Configure it like here https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-configure-windows-10-create-minidump-bsod.html I believe it's Win10-related, make BSOD happen and send me the dump. Then we'll be able to find the root of the problem.