Black Ops 3 (Steam edition) can not launch when ReHIPS is installed

Started by Itay, August 28, 2019, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itay

Hello,
I had a problem where Black Ops 3 wouldn't run. I own the game from Steam and when running the game it would appear in the task manager but it would never open.
After 2 days of trying to solve this issue, I've come to a conclusion that ReHIPS was the cause for some reason, as soon as I uninstalled ReHIPS the game ran with no issues whatsoever.
I find it weird that ReHIPS was the cause because I use it exclusively as a sandbox program, I've disabled protection.
I want to reinstall ReHIPS so I'm wondering if we can figure out a solution to this issue.
Thanks!

fixer

Hello.
Try to do the following:
1. Disable ReHIPS from Control Center.
2. If the issue is still there, stop ReHIPS Service by opening cmd and executing "net stop ReHIPSService".
3. If the issue is still there, stop ReHIPS driver by opening cmd and executing "net stop ReHIPSSrvc".
These 3 steps from lightest to hardest should stop ReHIPS completely, no need to uninstall it. And let me know which of the steps helped.
Thank you for your help.

Itay

Disabling the ReHIPS service solves this issue.
I had to right click the ReHIPS icon in the Windows tray and quit the program before disabling the service. I forgot to do that at first and it froze my system.
I have a fair amount of games installed and BO3 is the only one to have issues with ReHIPS, it's weird  ???

Thank you very much! :)

fixer

Nothing to thank me for for now :) I have some ideas why it might fail. If I'm right, it should be fixed in the upcoming release. But probably some TeamViewer session will be required to make sure the problem is what I think is, if it's OK with you.
Thank you for your help.

Itay

QuoteI have some ideas why it might fail. If I'm right, it should be fixed in the upcoming release.
That's great :)
QuoteBut probably some TeamViewer session will be required to make sure the problem is what I think is, if it's OK with you.
I usually avoid remote control but I have no problem following your instructions and sending you the required data.
Just tell me what you need to know and how I can get it to you and I'd gladly do it.

fixer

No problem. Just need to check some things to make sure I give precise instructions. Will come back when ready.
Thank you for your help.

Ozone

Maybe related, same behaviour when using sandboxie with firefox and chrome/chromium-based browser version 76 and newer.

Stopping the ReHIPS service solves this issue.

Itay

Hi fixer, I've replied to your PM but I can't seem to find it in my sent items. Not sure whether it's a bug with the forum or if my PM was indeed not sent.
May you please confirm that you've received it? :)

fixer

Hello, Itay. Yup, received. To save it in the Outbox checkbox must be checked, it's cleared by default.

fixer

We managed to reproduce something similar with Sandboxie and Chrome. Investigating the issue...

fixer

Looks like Sandboxie and Chrome issue is different. It's something Sandboxie-related and ReHIPS interference just provokes its fault. Some kind of race condition as if I make some delay after Chrome process is started it works OK. ReHIPS has nothing to do with this as process is suspended and basically does nothing. Though Sandboxie may throw some error that it failed to hook something in the process. It's quite complicated to debug Sandboxie when you don't know their internals with their complex inter-process dependencies. So I'll mark this one as not our fault :)

Black Ops issue on the other hand needs further investigation...

Ozone

Sandboxie will be released as open source, so it should be easier to debug it. It's not only ReHIPS, similar behaviour occur with some other security products especially with antiexploits. Hopefully open sourcing will happen soon.

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on September 21, 2019, 07:10:06 AMLooks like Sandboxie and Chrome issue is different. It's something Sandboxie-related and ReHIPS interference just provokes its fault. Some kind of race condition as if I make some delay after Chrome process is started it works OK. ReHIPS has nothing to do with this as process is suspended and basically does nothing. Though Sandboxie may throw some error that it failed to hook something in the process. It's quite complicated to debug Sandboxie when you don't know their internals with their complex inter-process dependencies. So I'll mark this one as not our fault :)

Black Ops issue on the other hand needs further investigation...
DavidXanatos is investigating this issue and I recommended to use a virtual machine and activate ReHIPS with the free keys but he says new VMware 16x versions have a different HwID to that you posted a while ago:
QuoteVMware VMs should all have the same HWID 169C08618DCCAB32EF152BFEEAF104A696B86C08. Here is Lifetime license key for it
FAC6A636934F79C307FEB737FBFBAB90FD623BF0FF9C7E31AC085AA01A7DD0661A35FD4858091FA5FCB31DC66FBB1DCE87C381DD6159ACA128F2483DD2A178DF000000000000000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF56004D005700610072006500
Could you just check that for me please?
Edit: this is the HwID he says he got: 66CED13691AF5E259B75854C65AD5E0699ADE84D

BTW, could you also have a look at the thread I opened at Wilders for David trying to fix such issue?
Also, you might comment anything there to help resolve it, thanks a lot fixer.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/rehips-sandboxie-incompatibility-affecting-google-chrome-and-other-apps.447282/

fixer

I'm using the latest 16.x VMWare, but still have the same old HWID. Don't know, maybe it's some specific feature in this VM hardware. Anyway here is a license key for this HWID

2FA72D1445ED19D1D5E12BB67A23A3266670593140751214ABC9CBCD8EC73637A8DA9308772A320A10523723A55035754AB6C986C64E4A689C694C8756A3CD1C0000000000406E9B83C1D80100407293B0E2D90156004D005700610072006500