Some issues I've had while testing the demo

Started by toni1982, March 02, 2020, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toni1982

1. Some programs won't start anymore with Sandboxie.
I've already tried the fix from the other thread, but it didn't work for me.
As long as ReHIPS is installed, most sandboxed applications won't start anymore.
For example both of my browsers - Vivaldi and Chrome - and my email client Mailbird.
Their processeses appear in Task Manager, but they won't start.

I've tried anything:

- setting them to "allow" inside ReHIPS,
- disabling ReHIPS,
- terminating ReHIPS,

but nothing helped.
Only uninstalling ReHIPS makes them start in a sandbox again.

2. The program "Rambox Pro" doesn't work with ReHIPS isolation. This is unrelated to Sandboxie. It just says that it was unable to start the program. Rambox is one of my most important programs and at the same time one of the programs which I would like to run only isolated.

3. I had to disable the virtual desktop, because it freezed/crashed repeatedly. Basically anytime one of ReHIPS's own dialogue popups appeared while being on the virtual deskop, it froze. I couldn't click any oft the buttons in the dialoge window. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to get back to the regular desktop, revealed what the problem was - the button for switching the desktops became white/unresponsive. I had to kill the process manually ever time.
After disabling the virtual desktop, I hadn't any issue with freezes anymore.
Question: is the "normal desktop-mode" less safe? I don't need it to be visually seperated im such a manner. If it's just that.

4. When installing/uninstalling ReHIPS, any popup dialogue that's coming from the installer appears *behind* the installer window. When clicking on it, the "locked" sound plays, that occurs when you try to click a window that is locked by a dialogue box.
But there's no way to bring the dialogue box into foreground. Pressing enter to confirm whatever the dialoge box says doesn't work.
The only solution is to open Task Manager and kill the process of the dialogue box - then the install/uninstall process continues. This is highly disturbing. Now I have no idea what the dialogue box said / what the uninstaller did to my computer.
I have installed/uninstalled ReHIPS 4 times within my testing period, and this issue happened every time.

5. There was a myriad of popups. For example when opening a new tab in a browser that runs within ReHIPS, the demo popup appeared about 30 times simultaneously. Sometimes even more. My fingers already started to hurt from all the clicking after some hours with the demo.

I greatly like the idea behind ReHIPS and I'd purchase it immediately, but unfortunately it caused all that problems and felt very unstable and unreliable.
Looking forward to try it again eventually, when the problems have been fixed.

Ps. The only security software I have installed is Malwarebytes and GlassWire.

fixer

Welcome to our forum and thank you for your interest in our product.

Thank you for your report, added to our investigate list, will post more details later.

Umbra

Quote from: toni1982 on March 02, 2020, 05:47:21 PM
1. Some programs won't start anymore with Sandboxie.
that is expected, i made a post about it long time ago.
Sandboxie and ReHIPS both inject  dlls in every process they sandbox, i guess that this is conflicting and prevent proprer use of both ReHIPS and Sbie.
You can't use both at same time for the same program.
To use both on your machine, at same time, without conflicts, you must decide which of Sandboxie or ReHIPS will sandbox the given application.
For example, if you have say Chrome and Firefox, you can protect FF with Sandboxie (and delete any ReHIPS rules for FF) and give Chrome to ReHIPS (and disabling sandboxie's sandbox for Chrome).

That is the reason i'm totally against stockpiling similar programs  (beginner's behavior thinking more softs = more protection), in reality it won't protect you much more (except in cleverly made setups), and without serious computing skills, this will create many issues ordinary users can't fathom.

Anyway sandboxie is almost dead, not maintained anymore (or barely), i dont even see the point of keep using it while you have ReHIPS.

Quote2. The program "Rambox Pro" doesn't work with ReHIPS isolation. This is unrelated to Sandboxie. It just says that it was unable to start the program. Rambox is one of my most important programs and at the same time one of the programs which I would like to run only isolated.
you probably didn't give enough access to it. for some programs, deeper tweaks must me done.

QuoteI had to disable the virtual desktop, because it freezed/crashed repeatedly. Basically anytime one of ReHIPS's own dialogue popups appeared while being on the virtual deskop, it froze. I couldn't click any oft the buttons in the dialoge window. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to get back to the regular desktop, revealed what the problem was - the button for switching the desktops became white/unresponsive. I had to kill the process manually ever time.
Normally you can switch to between virtual and real desktop via the key combo.
sometimes what creates the freezes are from blocked processes the user is unaware or using several similar security softs at same time, like you seems to do.
You want evaluate properly a program, you use it alone first.

QuoteQuestion: is the "normal desktop-mode" less safe? I don't need it to be visually seperated im such a manner. If it's just that.
yes; but not so much, i only use Virtual Desktops for the most vulnerable applications or risky uses (PDFs and other Docs readers for files downloaded from the internet, etc...), if not i just use ReHIPS a la sandboxie (on the real desktop with just the colored border, more convenient).

Quote4. When installing/uninstalling ReHIPS, any popup dialogue that's coming from the installer appears *behind* the installer window. When clicking on it, the "locked" sound plays, that occurs when you try to click a window that is locked by a dialogue box.
But there's no way to bring the dialogue box into foreground. Pressing enter to confirm whatever the dialoge box says doesn't work.
The only solution is to open Task Manager and kill the process of the dialogue box - then the install/uninstall process continues. This is highly disturbing. Now I have no idea what the dialogue box said / what the uninstaller did to my computer.
I have installed/uninstalled ReHIPS 4 times within my testing period, and this issue happened every time.
Never had this issue, and i installed/uninstalled ReHIPS hundreds of times already. Your OS setup is probably in cause.
doing a screenshot when this appears and posting it here would be helpful

Quote5. There was a myriad of popups. For example when opening a new tab in a browser that runs within ReHIPS, the demo popup appeared about 30 times simultaneously. Sometimes even more. My fingers already started to hurt from all the clicking after some hours with the demo.
the demo is limited to 10 active processes, modern browsers run more than 20+ processes simultaneously (especially if you have lot of extensions), so that is expected it alerts you with one popup for each additional processes created...
If you use an old browser like IE or FF (before Quantum's multi-process), the problem won't appear.

winuser

Quote3. I had to disable the virtual desktop, because it freezed/crashed repeatedly. Basically anytime one of ReHIPS's own dialogue popups appeared while being on the virtual deskop, it froze. I couldn't click any oft the buttons in the dialoge window. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del to get back to the regular desktop, revealed what the problem was - the button for switching the desktops became white/unresponsive. I had to kill the process manually ever time.
Same here. I've had the issue with powerpoint and reported it in the other blogpost. Now the same bug is happening to all isolated programs. In my case Rehips' DesktopTools32.exe process was the one causing the freeze after any kind of popups (whether alerts from Rehips itself or other programs like vpn killswitch alerts)

Rehips as an anti-exe is a solid product and I love it but the isolation mechanism (specifically separate desktop) is unstable for now. hopefully the devs fix it soon, no worries!