[UNDER REVIEW] Feature Request - Ability to Export\Import ReHIPS Config

Started by HJLBX, April 06, 2016, 12:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJLBX

Ability to export\import rehips configuration .xml files from within the ReHIPS GUI.

User has to save xml file(s).  That is fine for advanced user.  Typical user - while very simple to accomplish - not so easy for them.

schelkunov

ReHIPS home version doesn't allow to export\import database. But the corporate one is distributed with external editable initial database and special utility for editing.

HJLBX

Quote from: schelkunov on April 06, 2016, 12:35:49 PM
ReHIPS home version doesn't allow to export\import database. But the corporate one is distributed with external editable initial database and special utility for editing.

I'm in wrong beta group !!!   ;D

You will get complaints about the lack of this feature... especially from security soft geeks.

fixer

If we code this feature someone will eventually try to export rules from one PC and import them on another PC. But this database is not portable as same programs may be installed to different paths. Besides database is on purpose stored in a single xml file (ReHIPS.xml) so geeky users can easily back it up and even modify in notepad, though it's discouraged and should be done carefully.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on April 06, 2016, 01:30:19 PM
If we code this feature someone will eventually try to export rules from one PC and import them on another PC. But this database is not portable as same programs may be installed to different paths. Besides database is on purpose stored in a single xml file (ReHIPS.xml) so geeky users can easily back it up and even modify in notepad, though it's discouraged and should be done carefully.

I know and I understand.

I don't disagree.

I'm just pointing out that you will get complaints from the geekiest of geeks - the ones who are serious beta testers and\or constantly clean installing the OS.

Me, I just make a copy of the xml.

If I clean install the OS, then I just retrieve the xml backup...

fixer

Yes, I understand. Thanks for your suggestion, we'll think about it.

Umbra

I do lot of clean installs, reload older snapshots to test Rehips against various other softwares, and i get annoyed to be forced to clean the trusted vendors list of useless vendors.

An import/export feature is needed,

aDVll

Quote from: umbrapolaris on April 07, 2016, 02:12:51 PM
I do lot of clean installs, reload older snapshots to test Rehips against various other softwares, and i get annoyed to be forced to clean the trusted vendors list of useless vendors.

An import/export feature is needed,
Make the changes once. Go in Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS and find ReHIPS.xml. Backup that somewhere safe and every time you want to put in on another snapshot just close rehips, go and find the ReHIPS.xml file again of the new installation and open it with notepad and paste the <ReHIPSTrustedSigners> from the backup file.

HJLBX

Yes.  He knows that.  He is very active beta \ security configuration tester.

Like I said, quite a few users will expect an import\export feature, but at the same time I understand this represents potential problem.

I suppose does the feature solve more problems than it creates.

I think it is remote that such a feature will cause a lot of problems.

Of course, some user somewhere will smash a system by trying to transfer the xml from one system to a completely different one - like fixer stated earlier in the thread.

fixer

Quote from: aDVll on April 07, 2016, 02:41:01 PM
just close rehips, go and find the ReHIPS.xml file again of the new installation and open it with notepad and paste the <ReHIPSTrustedSigners> from the backup file.
Actually you don't have to close ReHIPS. It should detect external changes to the database and use them on the fly.

I don't promise we'll make export/import of the whole database. But we'll definitely think about it and I think we'll add import/export of certain tabs like trusted vendors or trusted command lines.

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on April 07, 2016, 02:58:52 PMI think we'll add import/export of certain tabs like trusted vendors or trusted command lines.
Frankly and I don't want to sound ungrateful or rude (not my intention whatsoever), but it's all or nothing. Partial database backups could lead to confusion or mess things up afterwards reinstalling an OS. Just my point of view.

Umbra

i will tell you why as a tester a full import/export feature or method is crucial to me: (the xml file copy is ok , but not really convenient)

- i use both admin account & SUA (means creating rules twice)
- i have Rollback RX , it allows me to quickly rollback to a previously made snapshot with a reboot.
- im using dozen of portable apps , i don't like installed programs bloating my system (less installed programs, less issues while testing apps).

now let say i have installed ReHIPS properly, took 30mn-1hour to set it up to my needs, customized the options, creating rules for all my portable apps, etc..

Then for some reason (crash, bug, software testing) , i need to rollback to a previous state that doesn't have ReHIPS installed yet; i will spend again 1hour to re-customized ReHIPS ; my system didn't changed in fact, importing the settings & rules will not have impact.

All that is for one rollback so i can deal with it manually ; now imagine i have to rollback to my old snapshot several time; should i waste 1hour of my time every time i reinstall ReHIPS?

i don't think anyone will agree.

fixer

We've got this feature in our TODO list. Don't know yet, how it'll be implemented though. Maybe we'll just copy xml files and add some warnings that they shouldn't be moved to another PC with different configuration.

Umbra

Quote from: fixer on June 12, 2016, 11:36:15 AM
Don't know yet, how it'll be implemented though. Maybe we'll just copy xml files

that is enough, some softwares does it.
An export button copy the xml files to a location chosen by the user.
An import button that will retrieve it and implement the rules.

Quoteand add some warnings that they shouldn't be moved to another PC with different configuration.

will be good.

Mr.X

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 12, 2016, 06:18:15 AM
i don't think anyone will agree.
Here, I fully agree. I do mostly the same as you, pretty much.

Quote from: fixer on June 12, 2016, 11:36:15 AM
Maybe we'll just copy xml files and add some warnings that they shouldn't be moved to another PC with different configuration.
Here I agree like @umbrapolaris as well. Thanks for your support @fixer.