libreoffice doesn't start

Started by shmu26, June 09, 2016, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixer

Isolated programs are bound to isolated environments. Each isolated environment has ReHIPS user it's associated with. When ReHIPS executes program in isolation, it logs on from corresponding ReHIPS user and executes program from it. Failed to logon on program execution error means that ReHIPS failed to log on from ReHIPS user. Possible reasons:
1. failed to properly create user when this rule was created (unlikely, it should've caused another error window about this error);
2. ReHIPS user was deleted (maybe manually by mistake, maybe some other security software did it for some reason);
3. ReHIPS user password was changed (I have no idea why would any software do that, so most likely manually by mistake).
The easiest solution should be to delete this isolated environment and Install rules again. But if you want to look into it, I'd start looking into ReHIPS users, are they present, is password OK, etc.

shmu26

shmu26

"Adobe will not work without hook control "
and what if I run Adobe unsandboxed?
Does it still get some sort of protection?

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 09, 2016, 10:01:45 PM
"Adobe will not work without hook control "
and what if I run Adobe unsandboxed?
Does it still get some sort of protection?
Running isolated with hook control is a lot more secure than running it normally. Running it normally you just control if it can launch applications or not. I would suggest you go with isolated with hook controls enabled and different desktop disabled but it's up to you obviously.

shmu26

sometimes I edit PDFs, so I want to save changes.

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 09, 2016, 10:08:16 PM
sometimes I edit PDFs, so I want to save changes.
You can save. What you need to understand is that isolated programs have access to different folders. For example.
Browser - C:\ReHIPS\Browser
Adobe pdf - C:\ReHIPS\PDF
So when you want to save you browse to that location and save there. Then if you want to put it somewhere else you get it from there and paste it wherever you wish. Another option is to give access to adobe pdf to the folder you want to save to but that maximizes usability and minimizes security.

shmu26

okay, so I am trying to get abode reader back to sandboxed.
I deleted it from allowed programs,
and also from isolated programs,
and reinstalled rules.
but it still opens unsandboxed.

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 09, 2016, 10:28:14 PM
okay, so I am trying to get abode reader back to sandboxed.
I deleted it from allowed programs,
and also from isolated programs,
and reinstalled rules.
but it still opens unsandboxed.
You probably didn't delete all the rules that's why. After you install the rules again do you see the rules or they were not created?

shmu26

okay, got it.
I had to go looking for all the relevant rules in the "all" tab.
now I got it to open sandbox on regular desktop.
thanks a million!

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 09, 2016, 10:42:03 PM
okay, got it.
I had to go looking for all the relevant rules in the "all" tab.
now I got it to open sandbox on regular desktop.
thanks a million!
No worries. I suggest you give a quick read to the help files they are interesting and very helpful. If you have any more issues just ask.

shmu26

okay,
one last question.
I have another PDF reader, FOXIT, and I only use it for safe files.
I need it to run unsandboxed so it will save settings etc.
I deleted it from the isolated programs,
and then I get a pop-up, and I choose to run it non-sanboxed.
It starts up, but hangs. it becomes unresponsive.
after a couple minutes it becomes responsive again, but when I close it and restart it,
the same story all over again.

shmu26

never mind, it is sorted out.
there were two instances running at the same time (apparently, one got stuck at a certain point in my monkeying around, and it never actually opened, so I didn't know it was running)

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 09, 2016, 11:01:35 PM
never mind, it is sorted out.
there were two instances running at the same time (apparently, one got stuck at a certain point in my monkeying around, and it never actually opened, so I didn't know it was running)
Nice. Glad you figured it out.

shmu26

I hope these experiences of an intermediate user were interesting (amusing?) to the devs.
rehips is awesome beyond expectation, but still a bit challenging for a non-expert to wrap his mind around.

aDVll

Quote from: shmu26 on June 10, 2016, 09:45:34 AM
I hope these experiences of an intermediate user were interesting (amusing?) to the devs.
rehips is awesome beyond expectation, but still a bit challenging for a non-expert to wrap his mind around.
Honestly it's because you didn't browse the help file in the program. That gives a good understanding of the program and makes you able to deal with most stuff.
Anw practice makes you better, Rome was not build in a day.....etc. You will learn the program one way or the other.