Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aDVll

Settings, programs, expand the windows username, find palemoon rules, double click,expand the menu with the arrows at the bottom and show me the second tab called permissions.
This or go to logs and click palemoon.

Never mind i figured it out. Go to the permissions and deselect Use Different Desktop and DESKTOP_HOOKCONTROL. Now it should work.
Problem is that it doesn't restart when on a different desktop. Will make a bug topic so devs can check it out and also make default rules for palemoon.

XhenEd

That setting is also the exact setting for Pale Moon.

aDVll

Check my edit. I explained to you what to do to solve your problem. It's how you made the rule and possible even a bug.

XhenEd

Yes! It worked!
Thanks for the help, aDVII!

Also, I just noticed the red border now. Didn't see that yet, until now. :)

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 10, 2016, 03:38:23 PM
Yes! It worked!
Thanks for the help, aDVII!

Also, I just noticed the red border now. Didn't see that yet, until now. :)
Glad you solved it. Hopefully in the future Palemoon will have default rules as they should be.

XhenEd

But, with that de-selection of options for Pale Moon, does it mean lesser protection for it?

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 10, 2016, 03:40:59 PM
But, with that de-selection of options for Pale Moon, does it mean lesser protection for it?
No. When hook control is off then different desktop can be off. Reason that when creating rules both are selected is that a lot of programs don't work without hook control. So to avoid people being mortified that it doesn't work it's better to have default both selected so that at least it works. Less convenience on a different desktop but it will work 100%.
In browsers case usually hook control is not needed so you can disable both as you saw with Palemoon just now.

XhenEd

Quote from: aDVll on June 10, 2016, 03:44:47 PM
Quote from: XhenEd on June 10, 2016, 03:40:59 PM
No. When hook control is off then different desktop can be off. Reason that when creating rules both are selected is that a lot of programs don't work without hook control. So to avoid people being mortified that it doesn't work it's better to have default both selected so that at least it works. Less convenience on a different desktop but it will work 100%.
In browsers case usually hook control is not needed so you can disable both as you saw with Palemoon just now.

Okay, got it! Thanks!

fixer

I looked into Firefox restart issue. Firefox restarts itself by starting its process and exiting. But when it starts process, winsta0/default is explicitly set as window station and desktop. But it's meant to be executed on isolated desktop and has no access rights to the main default desktop. So this new process is started and immediately terminated as it can't access desktop. So it's Firefox bug (feature?), that it's ignorant of other desktops, and ReHIPS can do nothing about it. Fortunately latest Firefox versions don't need HOOK_CONTROL access right and may be executed on main desktop.

XhenEd

@fixer

Do you mean Pale Moon? It's based on Goanna engine now, a fork of Gecko engine 2x.x version.
I thought Firefox works well because you didn't experience the restart issue earlier.

XhenEd

Quote from: fixer on June 10, 2016, 11:23:34 AM
Quote from: XhenEd on June 10, 2016, 04:59:47 AM
2. If the browser is already open in the isolated account, then I switched to the main account, and then open the browser again using its shortcut in the main account, it would say "Pale Moon is already running..." and then closes.
This is browser behavior, it was coded to do so. I don't think ReHIPS can affect it in any way.

I actually meant the shortcut in the taskbar, so that clicking it will be like restoring a minimized program. I was thinking that it should just open the isolated browser, rather than anything else. But if this is not possible or just impractical, I'm still okay with that. ;)

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 11, 2016, 03:14:21 AM
@fixer

Do you mean Pale Moon? It's based on Goanna engine now, a fork of Gecko engine 2x.x version.
I thought Firefox works well because you didn't experience the restart issue earlier.
Firefox was running on same desktop as you made palemoon do later that's why it was restarting.

XhenEd

Quote from: aDVll on June 11, 2016, 09:50:17 AM
@fixer

Firefox was running on same desktop as you made palemoon do later that's why it was restarting.
Ah, so, by default rules of ReHIPS, Firefox is running without those options like separate desktop?

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 11, 2016, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: aDVll on June 11, 2016, 09:50:17 AM
@fixer

Ah, so, by default rules of ReHIPS, Firefox is running without those options like separate desktop?
Correct. Palemoon will do the same on next version. It was added in the database.