Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.X

Quote from: XhenEd on June 13, 2016, 06:35:13 PM
When inside the isolated desktop, using only the keyboard shortcuts?
Within isolated desktop:
I'm able to mute (Ctrl + m) or Vol + or - (arrow keys Up and Down) to slide MPC-HC control.

If you are talking about Windows master volume I don't even know any key strokes for sliding it.

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 13, 2016, 06:35:13 PM
Quote from: Mr.X on June 13, 2016, 06:33:12 PM
Quote from: XhenEd on June 13, 2016, 06:31:43 PM
I mean the master volume, not mpc-hc's volume control. I could change the program's volume through its own volume control, but when it comes to the main/master volume control, I couldn't.
Also master working here...
When inside the isolated desktop, using only the keyboard shortcuts?

:(
Maybe this is similar to gesture issue. :(
@Mr.X I think @XhenEd means the pc volume not the application volume and yes it doesn't seem to work.

XhenEd

Yes, I meant the pc volume. I could change the volume through the program's control or its keyboard shortcuts, but when I press keyboard shortcuts for the main pc volume, the volume wouldn't change.

Thanks for confirming, adVII!  :)

aDVll

Quote from: XhenEd on June 13, 2016, 07:11:32 PM
Yes, I meant the pc volume. I could change the volume through the program's control or its keyboard shortcuts, but when I press keyboard shortcuts for the main pc volume, the volume wouldn't change.

Thanks for confirming, adVII!  :)
It's because it's on another desktop and it's for all application doing that. Now if it's a bug or for security i don't know. Will ask fixer.

fixer

I'll add RulesPack rules for mpc-hc 64-bit.
About master volume, my best guess is that volume control application that registers shortcuts and controls volume works only at the main default desktop. But not sure, will check it. What application do you use for this? As default Windows volume control doesn't seem to support shortcuts.

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on June 13, 2016, 08:22:23 PM
As default Windows volume control doesn't seem to support shortcuts.
True. A quick read a few moments ago someone said there's need for tweaks...

aDVll

Quote from: fixer on June 13, 2016, 08:22:23 PM
I'll add RulesPack rules for mpc-hc 64-bit.
About master volume, my best guess is that volume control application that registers shortcuts and controls volume works only at the main default desktop. But not sure, will check it. What application do you use for this? As default Windows volume control doesn't seem to support shortcuts.
You need a multimedia keyboard or a laptop i believe. That is how i tested.

fixer

If it's not native, I guess it's supported by some software similar to gestures support. That's why the same issue arises here. But I'll take a closer look once I get the exact software name.

Noverco

I am unsure whether or not this is an unexpected behaviour when I launch Internet Explorer (Windows 10) should ReHips automatically switch me to the isolated environment which Internet Explorer operates within.  As I have to manually click on the ReHips gadget to switch to Internet Explorer?

Also if I click on an email via windows mail (Windows 10) should the screen briefly go blank and received an error message unable to open ......., but when I switch manually to the isolated environment the email link has been successfully loaded?   

Mr Cryptor

I'm not able to use Sandboxie (SBIE) program now with first deployment of ReHIPS (first time using ReHIPS).
Have you blocked SBIE or similar comptetitor products from running after  installing your product ReHIPS?
I would like both yours and SBIE's running without conflict. How can we arrange that?

Firefox Browser
Windows 8.1

XhenEd

Quote from: fixer on June 13, 2016, 08:50:55 PM
If it's not native, I guess it's supported by some software similar to gestures support. That's why the same issue arises here. But I'll take a closer look once I get the exact software name.
It's Realtek.
It has 4 processes running: 2 HD Audio Background Process, Realtek Audio Service, Realtek HD Audio Manager.

HJLBX

Quote from: Noverco on June 14, 2016, 12:07:14 AM
I am unsure whether or not this is an unexpected behaviour when I launch Internet Explorer (Windows 10) should ReHips automatically switch me to the isolated environment which Internet Explorer operates within.  As I have to manually click on the ReHips gadget to switch to Internet Explorer?

Also if I click on an email via windows mail (Windows 10) should the screen briefly go blank and received an error message unable to open ......., but when I switch manually to the isolated environment the email link has been successfully loaded?

You can't run Sandboxed browser inside the ReHIPS isolated environment (ReHIPSUser) -- if that's what you're trying to do.

Besides, double isolation would be pointless since ReHIPS provides all the isolation mechanisms required for high security.

To do it, you have to give access rights to C:\Sandbox (default) or wherever you created the Sandboxie sandbox file path.

There might be other file system and registry access rights needed for it to work.

Umbra

i don't know for IE, i don't use it. but Chrome is ran sandboxed (you have the red outline)

QuoteAlso if I click on an email via windows mail (Windows 10) should the screen briefly go blank and received an error message unable to open ......., but when I switch manually to the isolated environment the email link has been successfully loaded?

i think Windows Apps (Edge, Mail, Weather, etc...) are not supported, since they run in Appcontainer (Window own sandbox) which is a deeper integrity level than ReHIPS or Sandboxie.

HJLBX

Windows Apps and Edge are not supported for use in ReHIPSUser.

As Umbra explained, they run in AppContainer.

fixer

If a new program is started in isolated environment on a separate isolated desktop, ReHIPS should autoswitch to that desktop. But it also switches back to the main desktop if isolated desktop has no visible windows for some time. Does it persist with other programs or just with IE? Haven't seen anything like it and truth to tell have no idea why it may happen. Could you explain it with more details, how to reproduce this issue? Maybe make a video?

Looks like something strange. Could you descrive it step-by-step so I could reproduce and check this issue?

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 14, 2016, 02:23:50 AM
Have you blocked SBIE or similar comptetitor products from running after  installing your product ReHIPS?
I would like both yours and SBIE's running without conflict. How can we arrange that?
No, we don't block any software just because they're our competitors. And I can tell with all the responsibility we never will. Most likely you're trying to isolate the same application by both products, ReHIPS and Sandboxie. Like umbra said here https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2427.msg4496#msg4496 that's superfluous and I'm not sure that's supported at all.