Difference between Run in ReHIPS Deployer and Run in ReHIPS isolation?

Started by Mr Cryptor, June 14, 2016, 01:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Cryptor

Can someone explain the difference between 'Run in ReHIPS Deployer' and
'Run in ReHIPS isolation'? When appropriate to use each one? Thank you.

XhenEd

As far as I know, DeployHelper is for installation of programs into an isolated account. Running in ReHIPS isolation just means that you want the program to run isolated, no installation.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: XhenEd on June 14, 2016, 02:37:49 AM
DeployHelper is for installation of programs into an isolated account.
By this you mean installing and then running an actual program in a sandbox environment?
Would I need to do the install each time I need to use that installed program?

XhenEd

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 14, 2016, 03:36:00 AM
Quote from: XhenEd on June 14, 2016, 02:37:49 AM
DeployHelper is for installation of programs into an isolated account.
By this you mean installing and then running an actual program in a sandbox environment?
Would I need to do the install each time I need to use that installed program?
Yes, it's only needed if you want the program to be installed in an isolated environment.
You don't need to do that with every installation. You only do that if you want the program to be in a sandbox.

I think, once it's installed, you can use it without running the installation file again. I'm not sure of the dynamics of this since I haven't tested this myself yet.

The first two sentences: https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2419.msg4454#msg4454

HJLBX

Explanation is technically not quite right.

Program is installed on real system, but you can configure it to execute with file system and registry access to either the real user profile or the ReHIPS isolated environment (ReHIPSUser).

If you try to install applications to ReHIPSUser - many will not work - even some portable apps because access to real file system is default-deny.

XhenEd

Quote from: HJLBX on June 14, 2016, 04:55:50 AM

Program is installed on real system, but you can configure it to execute with file system and registry access to either the real user profile or the ReHIPS isolated environment (ReHIPSUser).

If you try to install applications to ReHIPSUser - many will not work - even some portable apps because access to real file system is default-deny.
Thanks for the clarification, HJLBX!

So, DeployHelper is just providing additional steps for the program to be readily launched in an isolated desktop?

HJLBX

Quote from: XhenEd on June 14, 2016, 05:28:05 AM

So, DeployHelper is just providing additional steps for the program to be readily launched in an isolated desktop?

DeployHelper is meant for convenience.  It copies data from real user and then applies it to ReHIPSUser.  Plus, it also creates Allow In Isolated Environment rules.

In other words, DeployHelper should make it easier for user -- by creating required ReHIPSUser profile and rules needed in isolated enviornment -- so that the user doesn't have to do it manually.

XhenEd

Quote from: HJLBX on June 14, 2016, 06:32:16 AM
Quote from: XhenEd on June 14, 2016, 05:28:05 AM

DeployHelper is meant for convenience.  It copies data from real user and then applies it to ReHIPSUser.  Plus, it also creates Allow In Isolated Environment rules.

In other words, DeployHelper should make it easier for user -- by creating required ReHIPSUser profile and rules needed in isolated enviornment -- so that the user doesn't have to do it manually.

Thanks!

fixer

DeployHelper was designed to install programs straight into isolated environment. While Allow in isolation just executes program in isolated environment. DeployHelper is for installers only. It operates as follows: it creates new isolated environment and executes installer in it the similar way any other program is executed in isolation with Allow in isolation option. But it also does several more things to simplify installation: it tries to copy installed program shortcuts from isolated environment locations (software is executed in isolated environment, so it's installed there also, so all desktops shortcuts, start menu items, etc. are also created in isolated environment and thus not visible on real user desktop, start menu, etc.) to real user locations, scans filesystem searching for installed executable files and creates rules for them, so when they're started, they'll be automatically executed in that new isolated environment.
In other words: DeployHelper is for installers, Allow in isolation is for everything. And DeployHelper=Allow in isolation+some features for usability to make user feel like software was installed into real user and not into isolated environment.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: fixer on June 14, 2016, 02:32:28 PM
DeployHelper was designed to install programs straight into isolated environment.
Quote from: fixer on June 14, 2016, 02:32:28 PMIn other words: DeployHelper is for installers, Allow in isolation is for everything.
And DeployHelper=Allow in isolation+some features for usability to make user feel like software
was installed into real user and not into isolated environment.
If I restart Windows 8.1 what would happen to the installed program in isolated environment?
Would it still be there in isolated environment?

aDVll

Umbra

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 15, 2016, 03:08:11 PM
If I restart Windows 8.1 what would happen to the installed program in isolated environment?

Since ReHIPS doesn't auto-delete the "users" , everything is kept in the profile. which can be convenient for some, inconvenient for others. Anyway we requested a feature to auto-delete the user profile.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 15, 2016, 04:06:25 PM
Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 15, 2016, 03:08:11 PM

Since ReHIPS doesn't auto-delete the "users" , everything is kept in the profile.
which can be convenient for some, inconvenient for others. Anyway we requested
a feature to auto-delete the user profile.

So if I don't want it there, the installed program is stuck there,
that is, until developer team create delete option?

aDVll

If you delete from gui the program group it will also delete the isolated environment after a restart.

fixer

You can find some explanation of isolated environment internals here https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2433.msg4613#msg4613 So ReHIPS user profile folder is still there after reboots and shutdowns. If you want to remove it, remove the respective isolated environment.