Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noverco

Thank you fixer for your interest regarding the Unexpected Behaviours I have posted, I have PM you regarding sending you an email so I can attach screenshots, log etc to you as I do not know the ReHIPS Supports email address.

I have discovered an issue at times when launching Internet Explorer in the isolated desktop environment that Norton Internet Security add fails to appear.  I have provided screenshots when NIS add-on is present and missing from IE.

Also I have just discovered another issue regarding Internet Explorer loading normally (not in an isolated desktop environment).  If you press windows key and g ,you get the xbox games recorder as my testing laptop is 5 years old does not support this feature and I receive an error message - "Sorry this pc doesn't meet the hardware requirements for recording clips learn more"  if I click on learn more Internet Explorer is launched normally - not within the isolated desktop? should this happen?  screenshot provide in post.

Also I have not tested yet but when launching Internet explorer and does not auto switch to the isolated desktop I mentioned in my previous post, could be the result of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit free, not sure as yet when I have time I shall test.

Noverco

MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit uninstalled makes not difference to IE not autoswitching to ReHIPS isolated desktop enviroment.  Not sure but it could be conflict with Norton Security? add-on not sure will test as soon as able.

Thank you both HJLBX & umbrapolaris for your comments regarding these issues

HJLBX - Sorry but I am not using Sandboxie with ReHIPS, I see not point using Sandoxie with ReHIPS.

fixer

Quote from: Noverco on June 15, 2016, 05:59:32 AM
I have discovered an issue at times when launching Internet Explorer in the isolated desktop environment that Norton Internet Security add fails to appear.  I have provided screenshots when NIS add-on is present and missing from IE.
I'll try to reproduce this and come back with more info later. Though not sure if I succeed, I remember last time I failed to install NIS at all.

Quote from: Noverco on June 15, 2016, 05:59:32 AM
Also I have just discovered another issue regarding Internet Explorer loading normally (not in an isolated desktop environment).  If you press windows key and g ,you get the xbox games recorder as my testing laptop is 5 years old does not support this feature and I receive an error message - "Sorry this pc doesn't meet the hardware requirements for recording clips learn more"  if I click on learn more Internet Explorer is launched normally - not within the isolated desktop? should this happen?  screenshot provide in post.
Internet Explorer is started by some other application. I guess this application is allowed to start other processes without inspection. So IE is not expected and just started with rights and privileges of its parent, that is non-isolated. So it's OK.

Quote from: Noverco on June 15, 2016, 05:06:52 PM
Not sure but it could be conflict with Norton Security? add-on not sure will test as soon as able.
Maybe it really is some incompatibility with other security software and something blocks it from switching. But it's strange that manually it switches just OK. Does it persist with other programs or just with IE?

aDVll

@Noverco
Is this the version of norton you have because i see that NIS is replaced by Norton Security Delux. I am asking because i will also try to reproduce the problem.
http://us.norton.com/downloads-trial-norton-internet-security

EDIT: Works for me even when i have IE isolated with norton addon enabled.

http://i.imgur.com/kq0VoXU.png

Windows 10 64bit
Norton Security Delux  22.6.0.142

Noverco

Oh yes, aDVll thank you I am using Norton Security Deluxe.  I am sorry for not providing the correct version, unfortunately my brain hasn't upgraded to that fact let :o

I haven't tested other programs as yet fixer, just tried the basic software notepad, wordpad all work as expected -no problem with auto switching to isolated desktop environment.

I shall continue to test.  Unfortunately my internet has been playing up yesterday and be unable to send video etc to you.  Thankfully I am able to do so today.

Noverco

aDVll "EDIT: Works for me even when i have IE isolated with norton addon enabled"

Wow, so IE works everytime with Norton add on and auto switches to isolated desktop everytime.  Now I am confused :o

aDVll

Quote from: Noverco on June 16, 2016, 01:43:23 PM
aDVll "EDIT: Works for me even when i have IE isolated with norton addon enabled"

Wow, so IE works everytime with Norton add on and auto switches to isolated desktop everytime.  Now I am confused :o
It was a fluke i didn't know it didn't do it 100% of time. I restarted and now IE does not start. So yes something is wrong. I am trying to investigate further and will edit if i figure something out.
Not only IE doesn't start properly it freezes the whole VM and i have to restart when i try to launch IE isolated.
So apparently when you launch IE isolated and then enable the addon it works but if you restart the computer it then breaks IE and doesn't start properly. Weird. Fixer have to figure this out it's above my skill level. 

Noverco

Im glad I am not the only one, I reinstall ReHIPs and so far IE auto switches to the isolated desktop enviroment (fingers crossed).  but still issue with norton add on not appearing at times.  I have send screenshots, videos, and I saved the rehips log and sent all to fixer.  I am so glad I can use the internet again!!!

aDVll

Quote from: Noverco on June 16, 2016, 04:36:48 PM
Im glad I am not the only one, I reinstall ReHIPs and so far IE auto switches to the isolated desktop enviroment (fingers crossed).  but still issue with norton add on not appearing at times.  I have send screenshots, videos, and I saved the rehips log and sent all to fixer.  I am so glad I can use the internet again!!!
If it breaks again just disable the addon for now until devs can see what is wrong. It doesn't really offer any real value.

Umbra

Noverco

Thank you aDVll, unfortunately I rely on identity Safe as my password manager (offline vault) on main pc and I am stuck with IE (hope Edge soon allows add-ons).  Norton add-on use to work on chrome and firefox - but now firefox with norton add-on you cannot use identity safe!?! and chrome frequent updates cause issues with norton add-on.

aDVll

Quote from: Noverco on June 16, 2016, 04:55:47 PM
Thank you aDVll, unfortunately I rely on identity Safe as my password manager (offline vault) on main pc and I am stuck with IE (hope Edge soon allows add-ons).  Norton add-on use to work on chrome and firefox - but now firefox with norton add-on you cannot use identity safe!?! and chrome frequent updates cause issues with norton add-on.
I understand your issue but you might want to look at Lastpass. Pretty solid on all browsers and easy to use.

Noverco

Yes I've tried lastpass, but I do not like to store my passwords online.

aDVll

Quote from: Noverco on June 16, 2016, 05:01:17 PM
Yes I've tried lastpass, but I do like to store my passwords online.
lastpass is online but if you meant offline check Keepass. It has a pretty solid addon for Firefox and a ok for IE and Chrome

EDIT: Don't get me wrong i am not saying don't use what you prefer which is the norton addon i am just  giving you suggestions if it breaks again until a proper solution can be found.

Noverco

Thank you aDVll I will check out Keepass. 

As this is my first experience being involved in any type of forum.

I appreciate your assistance and suggestions aDVll, thank you.