How to use user data in isolated programs?

Started by Stephen, July 01, 2019, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Hi,

New user here and I hope that I may be excused for asking a few basic questions concerning ReHIPS.  :-[

I installed ReHIPS after having read a lot of the postings and most of the FAQ in the Forum.

My browser is Firefox. It's already installed on my laptop and of course I have the relevant user data for it in C:\Users\stephen\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\. My question is how can I run it as an isolated program, but with my current user data. I went to ReHIPS Control Center's Programs, "Isolated" tab and edited the Firefox entry by checking the Copy User Data checkbox. However, when I start Firefox, it shows none of my customizations (bookmarks, extensions etc.) which otherwise I see if I set ReHIPS to Disabled. By the way, I'm running ReHIPS in Learning mode.

shmu26

Are you using ReHIPS demo version, or full version?
I am asking because the demo version can only run 10 isolated processes, and this can cause browser add-ons not to load.

Another possibility is maybe you have another security program that is preventing ReHIPS from reading and/or copying the user data?

Stephen

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I'm running the full version of ReHIPS and I don't have any security program installed other than Windows Defender.

My Windows account is a standard user account, but I ran ReHIPS Control Center with an Administrator account.

EDIT: The problem must have been caused by an incomplete installation of ReHIPS, because of Bitdefender. After uninstalling Bitdefender and reinstalling ReHIPS, Firefox appears to be working as expected.

fixer

Hello, Stephen and welcome to our forum.

As far as I remember FireFox should be included in the initial pack of rules. It means if FireFox was installed before ReHIPS, it'll be detected and rules for it'll be installed. When rules for it are installed, all user settings are copied to the isolated environment. So probably something went wrong. Were rules for it automatically installed? Was there anything copied? Like any of the settings, bookmarks, anything. Or is it completely by default?

And Copy User Data copies only when destination file is absent, it's discussed here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9560.0 In your case most likely FireFox already had its files created by default.

Stephen

It's probably impossible to determine now exactly what happened. What is certain is that Bitdefender interposed during the installation of ReHIPS, quarantined a number of programs!) and the ReHIPS did not function as it should. After I uninstalled both Bitdefender and ReHIPS and then installed ReHIPS again, Firefox started in an isolated environment with all of my user settings without me having to do anything for it.

shmu26

Quote from: Stephen on July 02, 2019, 05:54:46 PM
It's probably impossible to determine now exactly what happened. What is certain is that Bitdefender interposed during the installation of ReHIPS, quarantined a number of programs!) and the ReHIPS did not function as it should. After I uninstalled both Bitdefender and ReHIPS and then installed ReHIPS again, Firefox started in an isolated environment with all of my user settings without me having to do anything for it.
If I remember right, ReHIPS and Bitdefender do not get along very well together. If I was you, I would do a full uninstall of ReHIPS, delete any leftovers manually, and then reinstall without Bitdefender. Ideally, you should disable all other security programs when installing a new security program.

Stephen

That's about what I did. There are still some Bitdefender files left which I must see how to trace and delete.