Run a second instance of Firefox without user data?

Started by Stephen, July 02, 2019, 10:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Say, I want to run an instance of Firefox, but without my user data and I already have Firefox set to run with my user data. How could I do this? Can i create an isolated environment for Firefox and run it without user data?

When I tried to create a new program with a path to Firefox.exe the OK button stayed gray.

fixer

For the same real user only one rule for a program is allowed. This limitation comes from the following: if a program is started and ReHIPS has a rule for it, it follows the rule; it can't decide automatically which rule to use if there are several of them.

It's possible to start a program in isolation with a shortcut and without isolation by default as described in this blogpost https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9574.0 But you can't have several isolated environments for the same program.

Stephen

I understand the reason as you explain it, but it's a pity that this is so. I think that in Sandboxie one could have the browser run in different sandboxes with a different configuration in each sandbox. This could be useful for say, visiting banking websites where one may want a more "lean" browser.

fixer

As far as I remember Sandboxie doesn't filter processes the way ReHIPS does, so it doesn't have this problem. For banking-other separation I prefer to use described above isolated-not isolated duo as I don't expect bank to attack me :)

Stephen

Quote from: fixer on July 03, 2019, 12:42:25 AM
For banking-other separation I prefer to use described above isolated-not isolated duo as I don't expect bank to attack me :)
That's true enough! I suppose that one could do their internet banking with just one browser tab open in order to further mitigate risks.

Please note that the shortcut solution in the FAQ needs a correction: Instead of "C:\Program Files\ReHIPS\RunRestricted32.exe" "%1" %* it should be "C:\Program Files\ReHIPS\RunRestricted64.exe" "%1" %*

Also note that I didn't see the red border when I tested the shortcut with Total Commander and ToDoList. Neither of these programs had a red border around their window. However, there was a red border on the respective desktop selector.

fixer

32 and 64 depend on OS bitness, added the other one, thanks for the report.

Could you please post a screenshot with absent red border to make sure we're on the same page? BTW, red border is shown on the main desktop only to tell what windows belong to isolated programs and what are not. Windows on separate desktops aren't marked as only isolated programs are running there.

Stephen

I thought that the program itself would have a red border, as I see a red border with Firefox. I attach an image of the program (ToDoList) which was run in an IE.

EDIT: I discovered that the red border does appear if I run the program on the main desktop. Therefore your observation in your previous posting is absolutely correct. :)