How to change settings duration in the Rules Database?

Started by Stephen, July 04, 2019, 07:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

I ran a program and I set the settings duration in ReHIPS to "Permanent". How may I edit this setting in the Rules Database? I don't see any option.

fixer

There are 3 possible settings durations.

1. Only once. It's active only once and isn't saved in any database.

2. Until reboot. This one is saved in the temporary database that gets purged on reboot or ReHIPS Service restart. And this one doesn't allow isolation. Why? Because isolation involves some Windows changes like creating isolated users, isolated environments, etc. If something goes wrong and Service crashes or PC gets rebooted, database information will be lost, we'll have no way to revert these changes leaving traces after us, that's not good.

3. Permanent. This one is written to the database in ReHIPS.xml file.

After this introduction it should be clear why we allow moving from Until reboot category into Permanent, but disallow moving from Permanent to Until reboot. If a program is bound and hence has a corresponding isolated environment (which is OK for Permanent) it can't live in Until reboot world.

Stephen

Thanks for the clarifications.

Would it be alright to delete the particular program in the Rules Database and restart the program, so that I may choose another option regarding it's duration?

fixer

Yeah, sure.

BTW, we have in our TODO list to allow moving from permanent to temporary, but I can't tell what release it's planned on yet.

Stephen

Thanks for the reply and please accept my apologies for asking questions all the time.  :-[ :-[

fixer

Don't worry, that's what this forum and support are for ;)