How to install a program for testing in an isolated environment?

Started by Stephen, July 02, 2019, 03:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Please advise on this scenario:

I would like to test a program in an isolated environment.
I download the relative setup executable with my browser and that program is in the relevant ReHIPSUserx Downloads directory.

What would the next steps be to install the program in a new isolated environment in order to try it and possibly delete it after a while?

If I try to run it using DeployHelper, then the installation procedure points to installing the program in the current ReHIPSUserx directory which is not what I want. If I try to run the setup executable using the 'Run isolated in ReHIPS' option, then I get a "Failed to start isolated program ..." message.

By the way, I downloaded the setup executable from Portableapps.com merely for testing.

fixer

Hello, Stephen.

The best way to exchange files with isolated environments is to store them in C:\ReHIPS subfolders as described here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9487.0

The best way to install program straight into isolated environment is to use DeployHelper, discussed here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=11675.0 It should create a new isolated environment and start installer in it.

And you get error because of this https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=11946.0

Stephen

Hi Fixer,

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Consider that I'm trying to test this with a standard user account if it matters.

I downloaded CCleaner (ccsetup559.exe) in ReHIPS\Browser folder. I then used DeployHelper to install it. Maybe because of my account settings, I had to authorize the installation as Administrator. After the program was installed CCleaner started immediately, but ReHIPS also appeared and I entered the settings to enable running CCleaner in an isolated environment. The Rules Database showed only the setup program in it. A CCleaner shortcut appeared on my main Desktop.

I uninstalled CCleaner and rebooted.

fixer

Administrator is indeed required to operate DeployHelper, that's OK.

There was some issue with DeployHelper and immediate program start after installation, but it was more of a usability issue than security. I'll write it down and check later.

Shortcuts indeed can appear on desktop. According to the DeployHelper blogpost I posted earlier it tries to copy all the shortcuts to the real user environment.

Sometimes DeployHelper fails to detect all the executable files that were installed. Was this the case? But apart from that everything seems to work OK and you should get your program installed into isolated environment and should start in isolation when you run it.

Stephen

Thanks. I'll do more testing and will come back with more details as necessary.

Stephen

UPDATE: I tried installing it again, following closely the procedure. Crucially, although the installation was completed and the initial screen came up with a button to start CCleaner, this time I didn't click on it. I then noticed that the DeployHelper showed all the relevant executable files in the ReHIPSUser folder. I finished setting up the ReHIPS settings and CCleaner appears to work.

One thing that I notice with the DeployHelper dialogs is that if a virtual desktop is created, then focus is given to it and the only way to return to the open DeployHelper dialog from the virtual desktop is to press Alt-Ctrl-Del and then to focus on the open dialog.

fixer

I guess you mean separate desktop? There should be desktops widget, by default in the right bottom side of the screen. It allows switching between desktops. Or could you make a screenshot? Maybe it got lost for some reason.

Stephen

Yes, it was a separate desktop. It had nothing in it except for the initial screen of CCleaner and the tip was shown about how to switch desktops. However, I couldn't move away from that desktop until I brought up the Task Manager.

fixer

Stephen

I experienced it more than once. However, since as a new ReHIPS user I'm trying various tasks in order to get to learn the program, I don't remember exactly how it happened earlier. Moreover since I found a workaround by bringing up the Task Manager I didn't pay much attention to the details of the circumstances at the time.

fixer

I created a ticket to check the issue. If you reproduce it, I'll be grateful for a step-by-step way to make it happen to fix it. Thank you for your report and for your help.

fixer

Unfortunately we weren't able to reproduce the issue with the invisible desktops widget. Maybe some window was just on top overlapping it? Or maybe we missed something. If it's reproducible, could you please describe it step-by-step? Thank you for your help.

Stephen

I was going to make a detailed posting about the errors that I experience, but I have to say that after trying one last time to use DeployHelper there were no problems. It's a mystery how it now works smoothly. I would consider this matter closed at least until I experience any new problem and then I'll try to give as many details as possible.

fixer

Guess it solved itself :) I'll mark it as closed then at least until it resurfaces.