HWID- computer activation managable in account settings after purchase?

Started by toni1982, March 04, 2020, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toni1982

I understand that you don't want people to install the software on multiple computers and I'm totally fine with this.
But what if I change something? I have modified my computer about a dozen times meanwhile...

-replaced HDDs
-replaced SSDs
-added HDDs
-added SSDs
-added m.2 SSDs
-added better sound card
-changed sound card to another one
-added wireless card for VR goggle

and so on...

Technology is developing so fast that even the most casual computer user will add or replace something eventually.
And if it's just a hard drive or two.
I already had "HWID" based software and most of them have detected *any* little change or addition as a new computer.
So far, this is not a bad thing. But it's an absolute necessity in this case to be able to remove your activation, to activate another computer. Not an additional computer -- only the "new" one. (which would be the same computer for me in the vast majority of cases - just with something changed)

How does it work with ReHIPS?

fixer

Hello, toni1982.
Don't worry, not all hardware changes will result in change of HWID. We didn't try to bind to everything, just the essential parts, so changes in sound cards or some optional cards like wireless don't affect HWID. Besides even if you changed some hardware, HWID changed, but PC is basically the same, contact us and we'll think of something ;)

toni1982

What about hard drives? And graphic cards? Hard drives are the most commonly changed part. Even a friend of mine, who usually never tinkers with his hardware, already added some drives and changed his graphics card.

Can't you automate this process? It's an online based activation and the server needs to be online all the time anyways.
I can't bear the thought that I also have to think about my software when changing my PC or buying a new one.
Computers are already enough trouble when trying to stay halfway up-to-date - there is really no need to add another layer of trouble.

And when the activation doesn't work, I have to contact support and hope for their goodwill that they give my a new activation, for probably the fifth time.
And I probably have to wait for several days to receive the activation.

I already got rid of all of my software that had used such an "support's goodwill" type of activation, and I don't plan to add a new one.

I don't think that ReHIPS is too expensive - the price tag could be even higher imo.
But the owner of the license should be me - not my computer.

Also - why do you have to "think of something"? You would just need to deactivate the old hardware-id and activate the new one. This should work as often as needed and without any limitations. If I would try to activate two computers, the old activation just wouldn't work. It's still only one computer that is activated - nothing changes for you.

Edit: I've just noticed that you wrote "if the PC is basically the same". Does this mean that it's actually meant to be re-purchased with any actual new computer??
So, if I make a mistake when upgrading my PC and break the mainboard, then I have destroyed my software aswell?
Or when the hardware manufacturer did a bad job and it becomes defective by itself?
Or when I'm just unsatisfied with the computer and buy a new one?
This is a really troubling thought.

fixer

When I was posting the previous answer, I tried to be less direct so I wouldn't provoke any abuse and won't be caught like "hey, you promised to renew my license for the 10th time this week". I'll be more direct now.

Graphic cards don't matter. Additional drives also don't matter as long as you don't reinstall OS changing system drive.

Online activation is possible, but ReHIPS is a completely offline solution, so we decided not to do online licensing.

For now for the whole ReHIPS lifetime we've never detected any abuse and hence never denied a license reactivation.

toni1982

That's fair I guess. I'm just thinking about all the backup tools that enable you to replace the system drive without having to re-install Windows.
In case it breaks, or just when you want to upgrade to a faster and/or larger drive.

Just recently I had a serious series of issues with my computer - especially my system drive - after which I have purchased basically every backup and clone software that the market delivers - Acronis, AOMEI, MiniTool, etc.
I also have purchased a SATA Dock with two slots and a hard disk for both, where I clone my system drive twice now, with two different programs, just to decrease the chances of being unable to restore it because of a program error.
A drive is just a container. Even the mainboard is just an object that I don't want to be bound to and responsible for. Not for my own errors and especially not for the manufacturer's ones.

There could be a user that would need the tenth activation within two months already, just because of bad luck.
Or he probably can't afford a computer from the store and builds one himself out of old and used parts, that need to be replaced several times until the system is running stable.
Or the same but for a user that wants to create a customized high-end PC.

It's not that I don't trust you to reactivate my computer if something happens. But I think there could be a system that's better for both sides.

fixer

I agree, current licensing scheme has some inconveniences. But there is no perfect solution. At least I don't see one.

Switching to online activation won't completely solve it. As deactivation may become an issue. Like my PC is dead dead, how am I supposed to deactivate my license from it. If deactivate it from another PC, it opens a path for abuse or it'll require regular online access, but even that won't completely solve it. Besides like I said we prefer offline approach and making it online just for licensing purposes is not a good thing.

So current scheme is the best compromise we could come up with.

toni1982

I can't see a better alternative too right now. But fact is - if this system would apply to any software, many people would stop to use computers.

Stephen

Quote from: toni1982 on March 10, 2020, 06:15:08 AM
I can't see a better alternative too right now. But fact is - if this system would apply to any software, many people would stop to use computers.
Or would stop using Windows/Apple software and start running Linux.

toni1982

Quote from: Stephen on March 11, 2020, 09:42:39 PM
Quote from: toni1982 on March 10, 2020, 06:15:08 AM
Or would stop using Windows/Apple software and start running Linux.

It has it benefits, but I still want to have a little bit of my life left for other things. Windows is not as hardcore as Linux and not as restricted as Apple. I've choosen it for over 20 years for a reason. No need to start an argument over this though. All systems have their strenghts. I use Linux live and in a VM and I even have an Apple device. (iPad + good microphone for hq outdoor audio recordings with good and inexpensive Apps, a lot of battery (8+ hours) and little hassle)

Umbra

The Offline activation is good enough, Fixer is quite fast to send an updated license key if the HWID changes. 

The only thing i would change is the demo, the limitation of 10 processes will reduce the user overall security while he waits the new key.

I would suggest the demo to give a time windows of 2-3 days with full ReHIPS capabilities, normally Fixer would already send the new key during this time.