Main Menu

Some questions

Started by nick, December 15, 2019, 04:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick

(if this should have been posted as a reply at the topic of Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors topic, pls move it accordingly)

There seem to be non documented behavior or perhaps bugs that I came across to:
1. I used an app installation program, run in isolated environment and endup having many empty "MSIxxxx.tmp" folders on drive c:\ while I didn't specify any access there for that isolated environment. Why?
2. There seems to be problems using asterisks if a subfolder in the path includes ".", for example I created a rule for all files on a path including a subfolder = 2.23.0.windows.1 to run isolated but if I put asterisk instead of 2.23.0.windows.1, ReHips will ask me again for any program there what to do with it
3. If a program out of ReHips database tries to start, some values you give at the pop up window are not saved, for sure "Can execute Sub-programs" retains its default value of inapplicable regardless what you give in the previously poped up window (I came across the same behavior previously but I don't remember if it was only for this one or also for some other fields of the poped up window)
4. If I try to run explorer from cmd or powershell in an isolated environment, the explorer never opens, why?

5. I couldn't find any documentation about trusted users, what is different compare to those not in that list?

fixer

Thank you for your report.

1. Probably we left it intentionally as something was broken, will investigate it.

2. C:\test\2.23.0.windows.1\test.exe seems to be recognized by C:\test\*\test.exe wildcard. Or am I missing something?

3. Yup, it's a bug, already fixed, will be in the new release.

4. Explorer is quite capricious. It handles a lot of things so there should be only one explorer running. Other starting explorers exit when they see they're not only ones. The thing is, they usually delegate what they're supposed to do to the running explorer. But isolated explorer is in a different position. It can't delegate anything as it's isolated and can't communicate freely with the trusted running explorer. But it also can't run as there already is one running explorer. So it basically can do nothing.

5. You can press F1 for built-in help file to open. In short words, not every user can access ReHIPS Control Center because of security reasons. By default only administrators can. But some users prefer to use simple user accounts for their every-day routine. In this case add this user to trusted users and it'll be able to interact with Control Center.

nick

Thanks for clarifying all of these. About the asterisks I'm not sure where exactly is the problem. It happens when I use scoop isolated and tries to execute git:
the path is ...\scoop\apps\git\2.23.0.windows.1\cmd\git.exe (with 3 more parent folders without any space or special characters). Any combination of asterisks, even exactpath\*.exe is not working, I get a popup window asking what to do with git.exe of the above path. If you don't get the same result for a path like that I can explain with all details under what conditions it happens for me (the rule is to open it in the same isolated environment)

fixer

Could you please describe it step-by-step, what you do, what exactly you get and what you expect to get with full real paths and paths in ReHIPS. And we'll try to reproduce the issue. Thank you.