Underappreciated software. REHIPS is awesome.

Started by vectorbravo, March 28, 2021, 04:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vectorbravo

I am confused about REHIPS.  I am from an earlier era where ProcessGuard (DiamondCS) and Tiny Personal Firewall (that was so excellent before it was bought and destroyed), and similar.  There was also Comodo PF, which is actually still decent.  Anyway I have now come and re-evaluated what HIPS solutions there are for windows, and REHIPS stands out and ACTUALLY WORKING, and working on server OS such as windows 2016 and 2019, and on top of that it appears it's free?

But what blows my mind, and made me sign up here at this forum and post this, is why does no one know about it, and why are these forums essentially abandoned?  It's a ghost town!  The most recent post, as of the time I am posting this here, was back in January, a good SEASON ago, 3 months nearly gone by without a single post.

Definitely the REHIPS interface needs some love and rearrangement to make things make more sense, change the layout, make some settings more accessible, etc, but jeez the software WORKS man.  It's 2021, no flying cars, but I am still here running windows (sigh) and man I need a good HIPS.  Sandboxie is a mess.  Comodo is great but they hid the options and don't give the user granularity anymore, so I'm installing REHIPS now on my system.  It's the best option.  What other options are there?  Other old greats have been absorbed into other products.  Webroot swallowed one and killed it, no hips interface or options at all.  Just one after another they disappear.  Man even GMER used to have a HIPS mode.  What happened to that?

end rant

oh, so anyway, THANK YOU to the author/authors

fixer

Hello, vectorbravo, and welcome to our forum.

Thank you for your kind words, we're doing our best :)

It's not free, but limitations in the free version are quite liberal. This blogpost covers licensing https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9613.0

Truth to tell, this pandemia thing affected us too and we had to switch to other projects for some time. And our code sign certificate expired, we hesitated to update it. But there is no turning back now, we've just purchased EV code sign certificate, so the next version will definitely be released :)