Issue with Rehips 2.5 RC1(Latest Release) on Windows 7.

Started by WGJ, July 12, 2021, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGJ

Kind regards,

I'm having error messages with the hipsgui64 driver on Windows 7(latest version - 7601). It says that windows could not verify the digital signature on the file. The only way to make the software work at all is to use windows in test mode (bcdedit /set testsigning off) or to disable driver signature enforcement everytime i boot the system.

Since i play some games that require battleeye anticheat system and it is not compatible with test mode, i would like to know if there is any way around this problem and if the problem is on my end or the software driver really does not have a valid signature.

I'm using Windows 7 - Version 7601 and Rehips 2.5 RC1.

Sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker.

shmu26

It's most probably because of the digital signature with sha256, meeting modern security standards.
It is not supported by default on Win7, at least not without certain updates.
Google it and you will probably find advice how to handle sha256 on Win 7.

fixer

Hello, WGJ. And welcome to our forum.

Most likely that's because we had to move to sha256 digital signature. In old times when Win7 was released sha1 was used and it was OK. But a while ago everyone agreed that something more secure is needed and moved to sha256. And now weaker digital signatures aren't issued, so you can't get it even if you want to. Sha256 is quite new for stock Win7 and it doesn't recognize it. But should accept it after update. I don't remember exact KB though, looks like for Windows 7 you need to install SP1 and then KB3033929 or KB4474419 or KB4054518.

P.S. Having Windows updated is one of strong requirements for ReHIPS if you want to build a secure system.

WGJ

Thank you for your attention. I had already updated the system with those patches you sent me (I tried to run them and it said that those updates were already installed).

When I run Windows update it says the system is already up to date so i dont know if my system is actually up to date or its windows update that is bugged. Anyway, i'll probably continue to use Rehips 2.4 then or install Windows 10 LTSC.

Is Rehips 2.4 still good and secure right? And does Rehips 2.5 RC1 works on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC?

Thank you again for your answers and attention and sorry for my english.

fixer

Yeah, I know, this hassle with driver signature enforcement and changing hash algos may be painful when it comes to supporting old OS-s. But unfortunately there is nothing we can do from our side. Apart from this signatures ReHIPS completely supports Windows 7. But we had to rebuild driver to workaround some Windows bugs, so had to follow new signature requirements.

Most of the changes are new features/fixes, I don't remember any serious security issues.

Windows 10 should be supported.