Uncommon RulesPack loop & ReHIPS failure

Started by Mr.X, May 16, 2017, 03:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.X

If the computer name and user name are the same and you install ReHIPS from that account and attempt to use it that way ReHIPS will go in an endless cycle of RulesPack launches and ReHIPS also doesn't properly intercept applications even after adding them to isolated. Using the context menu options it will work however. The RulesPack issue is annoying on multiple levels as it eats CPU and can make a task such as attempting to rename a file nearly impossible to do correctly as each new launch of the RulesPack forced explorer to lose focus on it 'escapes/loses' the input/focus every time a new RulesPack instance is launched which is every couple seconds as they almost instantly also exit.

Tested on Windows 7 only so far but now that I was able to reproduce I doubt it will be any different on 8 or 10. Well, renaming the computer and rebooting solves the issue.

Umbra

good find , i would never pinpoint it because i name my computers with a specific identifier.

fixer

Thank you very much for this bug. Don't know how you managed to find it :) I had a couple of complains about this behavior, but people disappeared before I could test it. I'm glad this one is finally found. I really appreciate it, thank you very much. It'll be fixed in the upcoming release.

Mr.X

So basically I noticed it on one VM  then I tried it on a new VM based off the same ISO and it didn't have the issue. So I eventually got around to doing things in steps to mirror the first and it turned out to be how the original had the same username and computer name.

Lots of minor changes, snapshot, reboot, install rehips. Restore latest snapshot, change more, snapshot, test again. blah blah until I hit it. Nothing special, just lots of head banging and persistance.

fixer

Mr.X

Thanks. May I ask for a link to have this fixed version?

Umbra

Mister X , you will have to wait the next build.

fixer

Don't worry, I'll give you the next build with this issue fixed as soon as it's ready.

Umbra

Fixer, what fixes/features are implemented in the current internal build you have?

aDVll

Quote from: Umbra on May 18, 2017, 05:44:17 AM
Fixer, what fixes/features are implemented in the current internal build you have?
I assume no new features and release time? There is plenty of time after release for new features. For fixes those he marked as fixed after the release. He moved a few topics in solved.

fixer

Currently these are mostly internal changes for stability/compatibility, not something clearly visible from first sight:
-user profile deletion is made in a more documented way rolling back to manual deletion only if the former failed;
-isolated processes are terminated when ReHIPS is uninstalled;
-several changes and improvements to help documented user profile deletion work, including improved running isolated processes detection when Service starts after crash;
-HookDll is unloaded manually, so uninstallation should always complete without reboot;
-changed from polling audio and video devices to callback system, it should have solved that svchost CPU consuming issue;
-ReHIPS should keep filtering when installing rules because of some other program installation, it was a small window of opportunity, but fixed anyway;
-some other small fixes, added several programs and trusted command lines/vendors to RulesPack.

Umbra

ok thanks :)

this is the kind of post i like to know, so we have an idea of the development progression, always useful for closed testers to know what will be implemented/fixed so we can prepare for it.
Maybe you create a thread to the "closed" section about it.