Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixer

If I remember correctly, by default Allow to create child processes is Allowed for Firefox. This means that child processes are created as is without ReHIPS interference. But maybe it's different for you? Could you post ReHIPS logs from Control Center main window Logs tab? They may have some clue.

winuser

hi, I was very busy during the last few months and I think you were right ( I use a modified Default.rdb )

anyway, I think ReHIPS "Network Protection" (or whatever it's called) is not compatible with some VPN software. I use ProtonVPN and whenever ReHIPS is enabled, ProtonVPN shows the following error message:
https://ibb.co/CQFGpsV
BUT when I run "net stop ReHIPSService" it can successfully connect to the same server.
ProtonVPN has a free plan so you can easily check it out on your test machines.

ReHIPS v2.4 (Demo)
ProtonVPN v1.16.3
Windows 8.1 (it happens on windows 7 too)

RocksoftLtd

Original message deleted as developer had already replied via email message that was missed. Thanks

fixer

Hello, RocksoftLtd and welcome to our forum.

Thank you for your purchase. I believe I answered some of these questions in email. Sorry if it failed to reach you.

Quote from: RocksoftLtd on August 30, 2020, 09:47:21 PM
When opening Ms edge in a separete isolated desktop it seems to work well until accessing the edge settings menu. Then the system completely freezes for normal input and a alt+ctrl+del is needed to get task manager up to break out of that frozen desktop.
Thank you for your report, it should be fixed in the next version. Until then it should be OK to have it running on the main desktop. At least that's what I do with all my paranoid preferences :)

In most cases it then allows me to kill the process via the Rehips control centre although sometimes some process are stuck there and not terminated no matter how many times hit the X button next to the process.
ReHIPS tries to terminate processes in a nice and documented way. There are some hacks that can improve killing rate but we'd like to abstain from them. And even with these hacks there are ways for a process to become literary unkillable. It's the way Windows works, nothing we can do on our side.

The apps seem to crash/freeze and even if I manage to shut them down/terminate them via task manager the isolated desktop GUI utilitly is many times sat in the corner and wont go until a log out/ system restart. Hovering the mouse over it shows it as working.
ReHIPS desktops widget relies on processes running on a separate desktop. It allows desktops switching when there are running processes. Sometimes though programs spawn child processes that don't have windows. In this case widget is there, but will switch to an empty desktop. It'll switch back after a timeout though and if I remember correctly will eventually terminate these window-less processes.

Also the general system stability is seriously affected when using apps in isolated desktops. There are a lot more system lock ups and freezes. Especially noticed with browsers. The apps seem to crash/freeze and even if I manage to shut them down/terminate them via task manager the isolated desktop GUI utilitly is many times sat in the corner and wont go until a log out/ system restart. Hovering the mouse over it shows it as working. If isolated mode is turned off  then it seems more stable but still not great.

Thank you for your time and have a good day!

RocksoftLtd

Apologies for not replying to this sooner. Thanks for the help and welcome.

Liking rehips. Excellent bit of software. Really looking forward to any future versions and updates and if you want a beta tester for any updates I'm willing to try it out.

Thanks again

Lone-Wolf

Is ReHips still under active development ?
Will there be a newer version released soon ?

fixer

It is still under development, though not so active.
But we plan to increase activity this year.

Lone-Wolf

Still nothing new?
Any news on the development of ReHIPS?

fixer

A couple of 2.5 beta-versions has already been tested by beta-testers. The next build will be Release Candidate and it'll be public. I think it should be available within a week.