[SOLVED] Feature Request - Isolated Environment Auto-Switch

Started by HJLBX, April 08, 2016, 11:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJLBX

When user executes isolated program, then ReHIPS will auto-switch from desktop directly to isolated environment; no need to use ReHIPS widget.

Has\can hot-key desktop switching been implemented in ReHIPS ?  Sorry, I haven't looked for it yet in current build.

Integrate ReHIPS isolated environment into Windows 10 Task View and\or Virtual Desktops - if possible.

fixer

There are several hotkeys registered and descriped in help file:
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2 - switches back to the main desktop from other isolated desktops
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F4 - terminates the foreground program

I looked through the Virtual Desktops feature in Windows 10, thought maybe I could use it instead of custom desktop switching. But it turned out they're not really separate desktops, more like custom window layouts loaded to the same desktop. So I don't think some nice integration is possible. That's why we put some effort to make our own desktop gadget with thumbnails, previews, etc. But when I have more free time I'll take a closer look at these new Windows features, who knows, maybe I'll think of something.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on April 09, 2016, 12:20:17 AM
There are several hotkeys registered and descriped in help file:
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F2 - switches back to the main desktop from other isolated desktops
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F4 - terminates the foreground program

I looked through the Virtual Desktops feature in Windows 10, thought maybe I could use it instead of custom desktop switching. But it turned out they're not really separate desktops, more like custom window layouts loaded to the same desktop. So I don't think some nice integration is possible. That's why we put some effort to make our own desktop gadget with thumbnails, previews, etc. But when I have more free time I'll take a closer look at these new Windows features, who knows, maybe I'll think of something.

Consider a modification (simplified combinations) of your designated hot-keys or give the user the create hot-key combos that can be customized to their specific keyboards.

Lots of OEMs are now using multi-function keys - for example, F1,...,F12 might control volume, screen brightness, etc, in addition to customary OS functions.

In such cases the user has to also press function (Fn) key to enable standard F-keys.

So, in my case, I have to use:  CTRL + ALT + SHIFT + Fn + F2 or F4.

It's a case of "finger twister" and I don't always get all the key pressed simultaneously.

fixer

I understand what you mean. We wanted to make something that is hard to press by mistake as some actions like terminating the foreground process may have nasty effect being invoked inadvertently. We'll think about some simplification.

HJLBX

Auto-switch directly to isolated environment upon execution of "forced" program possible ?

What about integration into W10 Task View and Virtual Desktop functionality ?

fixer

What do you mean by "Auto-switch directly to isolated environment" ? It automatically switches to a new isolated desktop when a program is started on it.

And about "W10 Task View and Virtual Desktop functionality". Like I said
So maybe I'll add something when I find some free time and think of something.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on April 09, 2016, 01:11:37 AM
What do you mean by "Auto-switch directly to isolated environment" ? It automatically switches to a new isolated desktop when a program is started on it.

And about "W10 Task View and Virtual Desktop functionality". Like I said
So maybe I'll add something when I find some free time and think of something.

Yes.  Launching "forced" program does auto-switch to Isolated Environment, but user still has to access it via ReHIPS Widget.

Any way to bypass widget upon initial launch of "forced" program ?

fixer

I don't think I follow. We have a program with Allow in isolated environment option set. When we execute it, it's restarted in isolated environment. If a Separate desktop flag is set, it'll be restarted on a separate isolated desktop. And ReHIPS Agent (the one that also shows desktops gadget) will autoswitch the user from the default main desktop to the new separate isolated desktop, the one the program was restarted on. So the user can interact with the program on this new isolated desktop. So far I don't see where
Quote from: HJLBX on April 09, 2016, 01:22:39 AM
user still has to access it via ReHIPS Widget.
Am I missing something?

HJLBX

Never mind.

Current implementation is good.

I had to look more carefully.

Most of my time testing has been on standard desktop.

fixer

I took a closer look at Windows 10 task view and virtual desktops functionality. They don't have many API actually. As I thought they are not real desktops like the ones ReHIPS uses, more like different window layouts loaded to the same desktop. So they're quite useless in terms of isolation. And using task view, well, this thing is designed to show windows. And as ReHIPS uses desktops and not windows, it doesn't fit in this concept. Of course we could try and create some fake windows just to be seen on task view. But frankly speaking I don't see any point in this, its messy and we already have our own thumbnails, preview and cookies :)

fixer

After some consideration we decided to remove Shift from shortcuts, leaving them Ctrl+Alt+F2 and Ctrl+Alt+F4. Or you think they should be simplified even more? The problem is they may cause undesired actions like closing the foreground window without any warning and the user won't even know what hit him.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on April 12, 2016, 12:07:09 AM
After some consideration we decided to remove Shift from shortcuts, leaving them Ctrl+Alt+F2 and Ctrl+Alt+F4. Or you think they should be simplified even more? The problem is they may cause undesired actions like closing the foreground window without any warning and the user won't even know what hit him.

Just give multi-function keyboard user option to define hot-keys.  Only power-user will define their system-specific hot keys; such users already know what key combos not to use.  More advanced user that doesn't know can easily fix it for themselves.

I think vast majority of users will not use hot-keys for switching.  It is a feature used only by most power-users.

Typical user will request ability to switch using more simple key combo - like Windows' WIN + Tab or ALT + TAB key or some combo that uses arrow keys.

fixer

I understand that it's better to allow redefinition of hotkeys. And we have it in our TODO list. I meant default hotkeys combination.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on April 12, 2016, 12:55:48 AM
I understand that it's better to allow redefinition of hotkeys. And we have it in our TODO list. I meant default hotkeys combination.

CTRL + ALT + I:

Safe key combo - won't interfere with most any soft or Windows itself
key to indicate "Isolated"; user can remember key by making the association
Easy two-hand use

fixer

Changed default shortcuts to Ctrl+Alt+I for desktop switching and Ctrl+Alt+F4 for closing foreground window. Allowing user to redefine them is in TODO list.