Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarnak

Quote from: aDVll on March 02, 2017, 05:25:04 PM
Quote from: Tarnak on March 02, 2017, 05:23:02 PM
Quote from: aDVll on March 02, 2017, 05:01:04 PM

What drivers does rehips has issues with? Rehips doesn't mess with other drivers especially sound except if you disable microphone from rehips settings which then disables your whole audio card.

I certainly can attest to that, when I disabled the microphone through settings in ReHips. But, I fixed as per the screenshots, attached.

It's be design though. There is no other elegant way to disable the microphone.

Not critical, and not blaming ReHips....since I have both camera and microphone disabled on my Surface Book. ;) Just go into "Privacy Settings" in Windows 10.

Ozone

what about this

right click on the sound tray icon, click on recording device, right click on selected microphone and disable it

fixer

Quote from: Ozone on March 02, 2017, 05:31:34 PM
right click on the sound tray icon, click on recording device, right click on selected microphone and disable it
In this case any program can enable it back, even the isolated one. So it won't do.

We chose to disable sound card completely not just because there is no other secure way to do it nice and easy. According to latest research (I don't remember the link, but I can find it if you're interested, or you can google for it) sound can be recorded even with headphones plugged into headphones output. So to secure it completely we disable sound card. And it needs admin rights to enable it back. So no isolated program can do it.

Ozone

Quote from: fixer on March 02, 2017, 05:36:14 PM
In this case any program can enable it back, even the isolated one. So it won't do.

We chose to disable sound card completely not just because there is no other secure way to do it nice and easy. According to latest research (I don't remember the link, but I can find it if you're interested, or you can google for it) sound can be recorded even with headphones plugged into headphones output. So to secure it completely we disable sound card. And it needs admin rights to enable it back. So no isolated program can do it.

you don't need to, I think I read it too,
btw it is possible to implement in ReHIPS option to choose which sound card to disable

Tarnak

what about this

Just like, so. :)  BTW, it was disabled.  I need playback for youtube, etc.

crasher

Quote from: Ozone on March 02, 2017, 05:07:48 PM
could you add option to refresh database, I am using portable apps, and when I don't have USB flash connected to PC, ReHIPS will show file not found, but after connecting it will still show file not found, unless I restart GUI
We will think about returning refresh button, that was removed several build ago.

Tarnak

I had ReHips disabled, yesterday.  But, this morning after starting my Surface Book laptop, I renabled ReHips.

I then loaded my browser, and immediately in quick succession the following happened [see screenshots], after which the browser was then OK to carry on.

Obviously, this shouldn't occur.

Tarnak

After a temporary removal of the'number of tabs' limit, courtesy of @fixer : The next time I started Opera, I didn't see any of those error messages, mentioned in my preceding post.

Umbra

Quote from: Tarnak on March 03, 2017, 06:03:39 AM
After a temporary removal of the'number of tabs' limit, courtesy of @fixer : The next time I started Opera, I didn't see any of those error messages, mentioned in my preceding post.

That is good  for Chromium users. As we told you , it was because the demo limits by processes, maybe considering the number of isolated application instead would be better for a demo.

Tarnak

Quote from: umbrapolaris on March 03, 2017, 06:21:08 AM
Quote from: Tarnak on March 03, 2017, 06:03:39 AM

That is good  for Chromium users. As we told you , it was because the demo limits by processes, maybe considering the number of isolated application instead would be better for a demo.

Yes....I agree, because in Opera, it is so easy to end up with twenty or more tabs open.  I end up with that, quite regularly, per browser session. But, I can see the devs point of view, too. ;) :)

paulderdash

Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 02:59:59 PM
OK. I just rolled back to earlier image to see if I still got the BSODs, and hopefully back in working order. So I've lost the dump infos now.
I will retry ReHIPS when I have more time, and if I get the same issue I will post a new thread.
FWIW it was on Win 10 Pro x64 v1607 14393.693 - WD | ZAL | Reason CS | VS | MB3 AE | AppCheck | Adguard | Sbie (not active) | Glasswire | Secure Folders
but not sure under what conditions, looked like while loading Firefox, but not always.
I installed RC4 again and got the 'DPC Watchdog Violation' again. Note I had also uninstalled Sandboxie this time, and disabled all MB3 protection i.e. including AE.
The BSOD occurred when I tried to execute a Bvckup2 backup, before Bvckup2 loaded, but I have had other conditions previously.
Attaching a minidump. Not sure if it will show the necessary. As Ive said before it may not be ReHIPS, though it seems to occur only when I have it installed.

aDVll

Quote from: paulderdash on March 04, 2017, 11:13:20 AM
Quote from: paulderdash on March 02, 2017, 02:59:59 PM
OK. I just rolled back to earlier image to see if I still got the BSODs, and hopefully back in working order. So I've lost the dump infos now.
I will retry ReHIPS when I have more time, and if I get the same issue I will post a new thread.
FWIW it was on Win 10 Pro x64 v1607 14393.693 - WD | ZAL | Reason CS | VS | MB3 AE | AppCheck | Adguard | Sbie (not active) | Glasswire | Secure Folders
but not sure under what conditions, looked like while loading Firefox, but not always.
I installed RC4 again and got the 'DPC Watchdog Violation' again. Note I had also uninstalled Sandboxie this time, and disabled all MB3 protection i.e. including AE.
The BSOD occurred when I tried to execute a Bvckup2 backup, before Bvckup2 loaded, but I have had other conditions previously.
Attaching a minidump. Not sure if it will show the necessary. As Ive said before it may not be ReHIPS, though it seems to occur only when I have it installed.
Something is messing with the kernel so Fixer that is smarter than me will check the dmp. Btw all MBAM and ZAM drivers are still loaded so if i was a gambler i would bet they don't play well together under certain conditions. Maybe something gets crazy when rehips is installed with this 2. Hopefully fixer can figure this out from the dmp.

Does the crash happen every time you use bvckup2 now?

paulderdash

So far I haven't had a crash this morning. Holding thumbs.
I have just started Bvckup2 and it IS running fine this time, so it is some other condition.
The only other thing I have done is disable camera and microphone, but @fixer earlier commented that that was probably not a cause. Hope the minidump shows enough infos.
Maybe it is the MB3 or ZAL drivers.

Umbra

Remove totally the other apps, you can't find an issue by just disabling the features, drivers have to be removed , especially with anti-exploits which are always the sources of severe issues

paulderdash

I will if the issue recurs. At the moment I just want to see how ReHIPS 'fits in' and check it out. Else I may revert to Sandboxie, yes I know it is a different beast :)
And I know you deem the anti-malwares unnecessary. I am pretty sure you are right if ReHIPS is used properly.
Btw I am intrigued - how then do you get HMPA to run alongside ReHIPS then? What changes did you have to make?