Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aDVll

Quote from: Tarnak on March 08, 2017, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: aDVll on March 08, 2017, 12:13:10 PM
Quote from: Tarnak on March 08, 2017, 12:04:01 PM
No, I don't. I wouldn't know how, anyway. It would probably need a change to the windows registry.
Assuming you use windows 10 then no. Windows does it on it's own. Can you please check and if it's not at 100% change it to that and see how it looks?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display and there you click set a custom scaling level.

I have a Surface Book, which is a Microsoft first, and of course it comes with Windows 10 Pro.

I have never ever accessed Control Panel > Display, so everything [settings] is default. It would not be prudent to change scaling, as it may lead to undesirable results, as it warns.
Yep, 200% it's too much for rehips gui i guess. Maybe rehips devs can change it so it looks ok even at this huge scaling.

Tarnak

I think the ball is in their court, so to speak. I can't change anything.  ;)

Ozone

I found another issue with path names
I am trying ImDisk (https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/) and ReHips will fail hash apps in this ramdisk

fixer

Looks like its driver is quite limited in capabilities and ignores documentation. It's a file system driver, so it emulates file system access. But it doesn't support all the queries the standard driver supports. For example GetFinalPathNameByHandle API flag FILE_NAME_NORMALIZED isn't handled at all. And FILE_NAME_OPENED flag only supports VOLUME_NAME_NT flag, but filename returned isn't accepted by CreateFile. Or QueryFullProcessImageName with 0 flag is supposed to return Win32 path format, but it returns native system path format. So it's definitely not ReHIPS bug, but I'll take a look, maybe I'll be able to find some workarounds.

Ozone

after little research I found out why,

QuoteImDisk Virtual Disk Driver is designed to be a small, simple and yet powerful virtual disk driver. It runs on very old versions of Windows NT as well as modern Windows versions. However, because of this compatibility design and because it emulates disk volumes rather than complete disks, it is not always compatible with all applications and drivers. For instance, you cannot manage things like mount points, drive letters and similar for ImDisk drives using mountvol command line tool or in Disk Management in Windows. As another example, you cannot create or access shadow copies on ImDisk drives. So, applications that use similar Windows features as Disk Management dialog to enumerate disks and disk volumes to find disk properties like sector sizes and similar, might possibly not work as expected with ImDisk drives.

source: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

I would be very glad if there is some workrounds, as other "free" ramdisks have size limitation

fixer

Looks like it's possible to make workaround if image is mapped as a drive like Q:\. But I don't see any good solution if it's mounted to some folder in existing file system like C:\MyFolder\MappedDisk. So I think it can be solved only partially.

Ozone

I am using it as volatile ramdisk (I am using Z:\) mainly as container for sandboxie and portable apps, so there is no image

also I  noticed that when I print some documents with isolated program, tray icon for print won't appear, but then if I immediately print documents with non-isolated program tray icon will appear with all print jobs from both isolated and non-isolated programs

fixer

My guess is that isolation works and isolated application doesn't have enough access rights to notify shell about printing so it could show the icon, but I'll add in our TODO to look into it.

perisanboy

Hello, dear Rehips :P
I like to test your software 8) like others if u plz provide me a DW link  ;)
Many thankā™„

fixer

Umbra

ok so actually ReHIPS is quite satble, the GUI seems complete. 

i was thinking about rules; seems ReHIPS is offline , and the main changes will be the addition of missing rules for some new/updated applications, i was thinking about implementing a "import rules" kind of features , so instead of releasing new versions without much changes except rules, rules would be released instead and imported.

i'm not sure it was asked before.

fixer

We've already made some changes for ReHIPS to support RulesManager if it's present and roll back to RulesPack if not. So it should be quite easy to put RulesManager, updated default.rdb and click Reinstall Rules in ReHIPS Settings window to update rules.

Umbra

For beginners, would it be simpler if it was possible to do it from the GUI?

Umbra

All Office files ran isolated by default, but there is a way to exclude some of them?

For example , i have a folder with office docs i created, so safe, so how can i run them non-isolated without reducing the security level to launch them ?

aDVll

Quote from: umbrapolaris on April 25, 2017, 11:47:46 AM
All Office files ran isolated by default, but there is a way to exclude some of them?

For example , i have a folder with office docs i created, so safe, so how can i run them non-isolated without reducing the security level to launch them ?
I don't think you can do that, at least i can't think of a way. On next version though ask would properly work. So if you set ask in MS Word to ask it will ask each time you launch it if you want to launch it isolated or normal. I know it's not ideal but maybe at some point we will have a whitelisted folder feature that ignores rules isolation.