Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on May 21, 2017, 01:29:07 PM
I can change location of TEMP/TMP for main user in "Environment Variables", but it is possible for IE?
What do you mean? Give an example.

Ozone

to change location for TEMP/TMP you follow this steps
1) Right click on Computer and click on Properties
2) Click on Advanced system settings
3) Click on Environment Variables
4) In User variables for "user" there will be TEMP and TMP listed with location in "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" by default

I can edit it and change location to other driver
but I don't want it to change for main profile (non-IE) because it caused error for Diagnostic Troubleshooting Wizard or when I am installing some older programs

Basically, I want to change location of TEMP folder for ReHIPSUserX without changing it for account user

aDVll

Quote from: Ozone on May 21, 2017, 05:27:09 PM
to change location for TEMP/TMP you follow this steps
1) Right click on Computer and click on Properties
2) Click on Advanced system settings
3) Click on Environment Variables
4) In User variables for "user" there will be TEMP and TMP listed with location in "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" by default

I can edit it and change location to other driver
but I don't want it to change for main profile (non-IE) because it caused error for Diagnostic Troubleshooting Wizard or when I am installing some older programs

Basically, I want to change location of TEMP folder for ReHIPSUserX without changing it for account user
You can make a symbolic folders and it will work i guess. Never tried it though but i don't see why not.

fixer

They aren't easily changable via GUI, but yes, they can be changed.
1. Make sure the isolated program is running. Otherwise isolated user registry hive may not be loaded.
2. Next you need to get isolated user SID. In cmd.exe run "wmic useraccount where name='ReHIPSUser1' get sid" using the desired ReHIPS user name. It'll give you SID like S-1-5-21-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1001.
3. Go to registry HKEY_USERS\<SID_FROM_STEP_2>\Environment and change environment variables there.
4. Probably restart will be needed, not sure.

Ozone

symbolic/hard links don't work, program will hang without error

changing registry works without needing to reboot pc
only con is that I have to re-add access right to temp folder on RAMDisk each time I remount it

Umbra

i observed that recently that the rulespack reinstall by itself, is it normal behavior? if yes any way to stop it?

fixer

RulesPack is executed automatically on first ReHIPS install. It asks for execution upon subsequent ReHIPS installs (i.e. updates). It's executed automatically on new user login to install rules for him. And it's also autoexecuted when changes in installed programs are detected (i.e. new programs appeared in Uninstall programs list) to install rules for these new programs. And autoexecution is unconditional. Is there any reason to stop it? It doesn't overwrite any existing rules, just appends absent rules.

Umbra

Quote from: fixer on May 24, 2017, 10:33:02 AM
RulesPack is executed automatically on first ReHIPS install. It asks for execution
-  It doesn't overwrite any existing rules, just appends absent rules.
ok that s why...  for example i am using Rollback RX , so when i rollback to a previous snapshot (taken after ReHIPS was installed), ReHIPS reinstall the missing rules/IE (those i deleted because i didnt need them).
i thought than one installed the first time , it doesn't do it automatically in the future.
So basically, there is no subsequent reinstallation if the rules from the rdb file are all present, but auto-reinstalled if some are missing?

aDVll

Quote from: Umbra on May 24, 2017, 01:11:21 PM
Quote from: fixer on May 24, 2017, 10:33:02 AM
RulesPack is executed automatically on first ReHIPS install. It asks for execution
-  It doesn't overwrite any existing rules, just appends absent rules.
ok that s why...  for example i am using rollback RX , so  when i rollback to a previous snapshot, ReHIPS reinstall the missing rules/IE (those i deleted because i didnt need them)
Just use rule manager and edit rules that way to avoid the issue.

fixer

You've got 2 options:
1. Use RulesManager and create rdb database however you need as rules will be installed from it.
2. Don't delete rules you don't use, mark them as blocked instead, they won't allow anything and won't be overwritten.

Ozone

Programs which have option "hide when minimized" enabled and are isolated in separated desktop, will "disappear" when they are minimized, because there is no taskbar with tray area, no idea how to restore them

also as said previously if I open isolated Print queue window, there will be no tray icon, and if I minimized, it will also "disappear" with no tray icon, but this time I can restore it with alt+tab

I don't know if it's been already suggested but it is possible to make rehips tray icon change when it isolate programs so user will be aware that some programs are isolated

aDVll

You have access to isolated program into a different desktop from the session manager or ctrl+alt+I.

EDIT: If you need the tray icon you need to deselect the different desktop option.

Ozone

I can switch to separated desktop normally but it will appear empty and after while outside of that isolated desktop it will terminate self

fixer

Ozone, don't worry, we've got this issue in our TODO list to fix it. But it'll be in the next release, not 2.2.0.

Umbra

Quote from: fixer on May 24, 2017, 01:46:55 PM
You've got 2 options:
1. Use RulesManager and create rdb database however you need as rules will be installed from it.
2. Don't delete rules you don't use, mark them as blocked instead, they won't allow anything and won't be overwritten.
in fact i created IEs for some apps, but some are not needed now (but maybe later) , so i don't want remove them of the rdb i made. i wish i can "deactivate" them so they can't be reinstalled automatically.