Ask Questions Here - ReHIPS Features & Unexpected Behaviors

Started by HJLBX, April 11, 2016, 01:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarnak

Finally, it just crashed a short time ago!  I have the dump, which I will e-mail, as requested.

Tarnak

Well, I just learnt about this location [C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports ] which had remained hidden, and after giving permission, I gained access.

fixer

Thank you for your report, we looked into the issue. Though it's not a full kernel memory dump and thus some memory areas are missing in the dump provided, I'm 98% sure it's the same issue already discussed here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=7863.msg15361#msg15361 It's gwdrv.sys driver, looks like they still haven't fixed it, or maybe you use an old version. In any case ReHIPS has nothing to do with it.

Umbra

Can we have an option to select different PPI or resize the gui, on one system the GUI take almost the screen making rehips barely usable.

crasher

Quote from: Umbra on January 09, 2019, 07:32:31 PM
Can we have an option to select different PPI or resize the gui, on one system the GUI take almost the screen making rehips barely usable.
Can you provide more information about the system such as screen resolution and DPI scaling value?

Umbra

Display14 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel, Windows scaling set as 150%

crasher

Quote from: Umbra on January 10, 2019, 02:11:48 AM
Display14 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel, Windows scaling set as 150%
As temporary solution you can use Qt environment variable:
QuoteQT_SCALE_FACTOR [numeric] defines a global scale factor for the whole application, including point sized fonts.
Just set it before applicaton start. You can start from QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.8.
We'll solve this problem completely in one of the next releases.

Umbra

OneLargeTuna

I periodically get a popup/notification with "reHIPS is in ____ mode" in settings > log the popup boxes for ___ mode activated are disabled, am I missing something on how to disable this or is it a nag popup until I buy the license?
(windows 10, I installed this software about a day ago)

crasher

Quote from: OneLargeTuna on April 27, 2019, 09:32:44 AM
I periodically get a popup/notification with "reHIPS is in ____ mode" in settings > log the popup boxes for ___ mode activated are disabled, am I missing something on how to disable this or is it a nag popup until I buy the license?
(windows 10, I installed this software about a day ago)
Thank you for your question. Notification about learning mode displays each 30 minutes and you can't disable it. It's normal behaviour so you don't forget to switch the protection to another mode, because prolonged stay in training mode is undesirable.

OneLargeTuna

Quote from: crasher on April 27, 2019, 09:08:34 PM
Thank you for your question. Notification about learning mode displays each 30 minutes and you can't disable it. It's normal behaviour so you don't forget to switch the protection to another mode, because prolonged stay in training mode is undesirable.

Oh that makes sense; might I suggest adding that to the tool-tip/description to make it more clear

crasher

Quote from: OneLargeTuna on April 27, 2019, 10:52:28 PM
Oh that makes sense; might I suggest adding that to the tool-tip/description to make it more clear
Thank you for suggestion. We'll add some tips about it in the next release.

winuser

I need to remove all user-installed apps (like firefox, adobe reader ... ) and only keep windows pre-installed files (like internet explorer, cmd ... ) inside rulesmanager's "Default.rdb" .
I opened the database with Notepad++ but not sure how to filter those ( I mean based on what criteria? )
is there any way to identify user-installed apps in Default.rdb ?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

fixer

Hello, winuser. Welcome to our forum and thank you for your interest in our product.

The best way to edit default.rdb is to open it in RulesManager. There is a blogpost about RulesManager here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9530

If you want to tell in notepad "preinstalled file" rules (in terms of blogpost) or "Standard Product" rules (in terms of RulesManager) from "installable software" rules (in terms of blogpost) or "Installed Product" rules (in terms of RulesManager) then:
-preinstalled have a nonzero KnownFolderId pointing to some folder like System32 and an empty ProductName like
KnownFolderId="{F38BF404-1D43-42F2-9305-67DE0B28FC23}" ProductName=""
-installable have a zero KnownFolderId and some ProductName to look for it in Uninstall software list like
KnownFolderId="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" ProductName="7-Zip .*"

But keep in mind that there is no written in stone division. For example Adobe Manager is actually an installable software. But it's not shown in Uninstall software list and you can't change path for it, it's installed into hardcoded location. So the rule for it goes as preinstalled. So I guess the best way is to recheck the rules manually. Besides these rules were created to make an average PC do its work and I tweak some of them for security purposes when I install them on my PCs. For example by default telemetry processes are allowed.

winuser

Quote from: fixer on September 29, 2019, 06:54:48 AM
There is a blogpost about RulesManager here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9530
Thanks fixer, I got it. The more I get to know ReHIPS, the more I like it.
Anyway, the "ReHIPS FAQ"section of forum is very informative! Why do you guys hide such interesting documentation inside a forum?  :( why not ship it along with the software?