Suggestions (GUI) - Usability & design

Started by Umbra, April 16, 2016, 06:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HJLBX

Quote from: paulderdash on June 02, 2016, 10:42:52 AM
Would it be worth considering an 'Install Mode' like NVT ERP, for installing new software - or would that be too much of a compromise of ReHIPS?

An "Install Mode" - like SpyShelter and NVT ERP where they will auto-create rules was submitted as a feature request already.

I think ReCrypt is considering it.

fixer

We've got Install Mode suggestion in our TODO list. But truth to tell, I haven't looked into yet, how it's implemented in other software so it could be familiar to users, so I can't say anything about it now.

Mr.X

A small cosmetic/usability suggestion:

On the context menu, the legend "Protection Mode:" has gray fonts. I'd like it instead with bold letters or different color:

crasher

Quote from: Mr.X on June 04, 2016, 09:00:35 PM
A small cosmetic/usability suggestion:

On the context menu, the legend "Protection Mode:" has gray fonts. I'd like it instead with bold letters or different color:

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll think about it.

Mr.X

I need to stop blocked programs popups every time they want to run. Kind of annoying. Thanks.

fixer

Just remove unwanted checks in Settings, Logs tab from Pop-Up column.

Noverco

Could I make a suggestion regarding when you set ReHips - Protection mode to Disabled.  I think there should be a pop up warning regarding disabling protection something like "Are you sure you wish to disable protection" with the options to confirm/OK and cancel.

Also may I add another suggestion when you open ReHIPS Control Center and tick on Settings>Program tab I naturally try to tick on the word SYSTEM or "USERNAME" to expand, instead of the small arrows placed before the text.  I've attached the screenshot regarding this issue.

Thank you

Mr.X

Quote from: fixer on June 13, 2016, 09:22:12 PM
Just remove unwanted checks in Settings, Logs tab from Pop-Up column.
Got it. Thanks.

crasher

Quote from: Noverco on June 13, 2016, 10:25:15 PM
Could I make a suggestion regarding when you set ReHips - Protection mode to Disabled.  I think there should be a pop up warning regarding disabling protection something like "Are you sure you wish to disable protection" with the options to confirm/OK and cancel.

Also may I add another suggestion when you open ReHIPS Control Center and tick on Settings>Program tab I naturally try to tick on the word SYSTEM or "USERNAME" to expand, instead of the small arrows placed before the text.  I've attached the screenshot regarding this issue.

Thank you

Thanks for your suggestions. We will think about warning message before disabling protection.
Classic tree component doesn't expand with single mouse click, only with double click. At the same time we already bound double click on tree element to edit and we don't want to mix them.

Noverco

Thank you fixer, I appreciate your consideration regarding my suggestion - warning the user when disabling protection.  Thanks for your reason regarding not mixing clicking of the tree(root) and edit of a tree element.

Noverco

When replacing a command line (eg :- Norton Security) with a wildcard to prevent repeated Alerts from ReHIPS. 

I had to manually delete the related command lines for NS, which are no longer necessary.

As a suggestion could ReHIPs auto clean up the unnecessary command lines which are replaced with wildcard?

Thank you aDVll for suggesting I post this here, hope it is ok to quote you.

Quote from aDVll "No it doesn't but this is a great suggestion. It should check which commands become irrelevant when you make a command line with * and ask you if you want to delete them"

Noverco

Quote from fixer

"ReHIPS GUI for security purposes requires administrator account (doesn't matter elevated to the real admin or using limited token) to connect to the Service and control it. The Service checks if the connecting process was started by a user from Administrator group. If not, it disconnects. This was done for security purposes to restrict other non-admin users to control ReHIPS.
Recently there were some changes in this policy. Service now supports connections from both administrators and users from the whitelist. But GUI part doesn't support it yet though, will be implemented later. But if you can't wait, you can edit the xml database manually"

As a suggestion when the implementation of autostarting in SUA is available in a future version of ReHIPS, when ReHIPS GUI is lauched in an admin account have the option with in the ReHIPS GUI to allow SUA access to the ReHIPS GUI without triggering UAC (this option greyed out when in SUA account).  Could in the form of :-

Do you wish SUA access to ReHIPS GUI (skip UAC) yes or no (ticking either yes or no)

If ticked the yes option then a list of SUA's which are available on the pc.

List of Standard User accounts

username 1   Yes        No    (tick yes - skip UAC and allow autostart of ReHIPS GUI or tick no which when ReHIPS GUI lauched triggers UAC for admin password when launched) 
username 2   Yes        No    (as above)

I think this may or may not help with the "security purposes to restrict other non-admin users to control ReHIPS"

fixer

ReHIPS GUI won't require admin to run. At first it'll be just a list of standard users who are allowed to control ReHIPS, they'll have full access just like admins. Later maybe some fine grained control will be added like this user is allowed to do this, but denied to do that.

Noverco

Thank you fixer, nice to have an insight into how access to ReHIPs GUI will develop.

XhenEd

Just a suggestion:
can you make a division in Trusted Vendors and/or Trusted Command Lines that would show what command lines are added by RulesPack and added by the user through decision or the learning mode? I'm not sure if this would be relevant, but it would help users to easily navigate through Trusted Vendors and Trusted Command Lines, and help for troubleshooting purposes.