Suggestions (GUI) - Usability & design

Started by Umbra, April 16, 2016, 06:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixer

We think about replacing RulesPack (it installs initial predefined rules) with RulesManager. It allows to import, export and edit initial rules and settings in any way. Thus if user gains control over initial rules, there will be no point in marking some rules or trusted entities as user-edited as initial rules themselves can already be user-edited. Besides adding trusted entities won't break anything, so I don't think it'll require troubleshooting. Removing them may break (this is putting it too strongly, it won't actually break, just may cause alerts), but no trusted entity is automatically removed. We'll think about your suggestion, but at the moment I don't think it's worth the effort.

XhenEd

Quote from: fixer on June 24, 2016, 12:53:28 PM
We think about replacing RulesPack (it installs initial predefined rules) with RulesManager. It allows to import, export and edit initial rules and settings in any way. Thus if user gains control over initial rules, there will be no point in marking some rules or trusted entities as user-edited as initial rules themselves can already be user-edited. Besides adding trusted entities won't break anything, so I don't think it'll require troubleshooting. Removing them may break (this is putting it too strongly, it won't actually break, just may cause alerts), but no trusted entity is automatically removed. We'll think about your suggestion, but at the moment I don't think it's worth the effort.
That's more like it, fixer!  ;)
Nevermind my suggestion. Yours should be better.  ;)

aDVll

Can you guys consider moving lockdown mode in gui taskbar icon so we can access it easier? Thanks.

Noverco

Quote from: aDVll on July 30, 2016, 10:12:12 AM
Can you guys consider moving lockdown mode in gui taskbar icon so we can access it easier? Thanks.

Hi aDVll, I agree with you, I think that would be a great idea, I hope this gets implemented :)

EDIT:  Interestingly, I am always in lockdown mode, but if I have a program which is blocked in lockdown mode I just right click on ReHips Taskbar icon> select learning mode then launch the blocked program and the reselect Expert mode.

I checked that under  ReHips GUI>Settings>Protection, that lock-down mode is still ticked.

I am sure, if not maybe fixer may correct me, that with this method you are still in lockdown mode.

Noverco

Hi everyone, I have blocked certain vulnerable processes from executing in ReHips GUI>Settings>Programs>SYSTEM>Un-bound programs(blocked) and also with Admin account.  But my standard user account did not appear at the time under GUI>Settings>Programs as I have just recently installed on main pc I did not login to my standard user account since installing Rehips.

I have now logged into my standard account and it has appeared under GUI>Settings>Programs.

Is there anyway I can copy my blocked vulnerable processes from either SYSTEM or Admin account under GUI>Settings>Programs or do I have to re enter/block them again for my standard user account?

fixer

Quote from: Noverco on July 30, 2016, 03:45:25 PM
Is there anyway I can copy my blocked vulnerable processes from either SYSTEM or Admin account under GUI>Settings>Programs or do I have to re enter/block them again for my standard user account?
Unfortunately now you have to block programs again. But for future versions we're considering making RulesManager public that enables user to make his/her own rules and then install them for all users (including SYSTEM).

Quote from: Noverco on July 30, 2016, 03:15:24 PM
I am sure, if not maybe fixer may correct me, that with this method you are still in lockdown mode.
Lockdown mode is intended to be something like silent mode. If any alert would appear without lockdown, in lockdown it will be blocked. So in Expert mode pretty much everything unknown and changed is blocked. But Learning mode doesn't show alerts, it learns and allows new programs, so lockdown is kinda useless in Learning.

Noverco

Quote from: fixer on July 30, 2016, 06:11:47 PM
Unfortunately now you have to block programs again. But for future versions we're considering making RulesManager public that enables user to make his/her own rules and then install them for all users (including SYSTEM).

Thank you fixer, I will re block vulnerable processes in my standard user account, RulesManager sounds very interesting indeed :)

Noverco

Quote from: fixer on July 30, 2016, 06:11:47 PM
Lockdown mode is intended to be something like silent mode. If any alert would appear without lockdown, in lockdown it will be blocked. So in Expert mode pretty much everything unknown and changed is blocked. But Learning mode doesn't show alerts, it learns and allows new programs, so lockdown is kinda useless in Learning.

Thanks fixer, I agree lockdown mode is useless in learning mode.  Sorry for the confusion.  So if I forgotten to allow a program to launch and gets block in lockdown mode, I then right click on rehips taskbar icon and select learning mode and i am able to then launch successfully the program which was blocked in lockdown mode.

If I then switch back to expert mode, do I have to untick lockdown mode in ReHips GUI>Settings>Protection, that lock-down mode is still ticked. and re-tick lockdown in order to re-enable lockdown mode.  Does that make any sense?

So why can I switch to learning mode when in GUI>Settings>Protection, that lock-down mode is still ticked(enabled)?

Shouldn't Rehips automatically disable (untick lockdown mode in GUI>Settings>Protection) when the user changes to a different mode?

fixer

Lockdown option was designed to enable ReHIPS operation completely without user intervention: without any alerts, questions, etc. This makes possible headless mode when ReHIPS operates without GUI at all. So we made any mode (Expert, Learning, etc.) support this option without disabling/enabling it automatically as it may create complicated dependencies and questions like I haven't touched this checkbox, why has it changed.

Noverco

Quote from: fixer on July 30, 2016, 08:07:56 PM
Lockdown option was designed to enable ReHIPS operation completely without user intervention: without any alerts, questions, etc. This makes possible headless mode when ReHIPS operates without GUI at all. So we made any mode (Expert, Learning, etc.) support this option without disabling/enabling it automatically as it may create complicated dependencies and questions like I haven't touched this checkbox, why has it changed.

Thank you fixer, once again for your assistance and explanation. I see yes that could certainly be an issue ;)

aDVll

I think the default log line limit needs to be changed because it's too low. In a few hours you passed that. I know we still have logs in event viewer but i guess it would help new users.

crasher

Quote from: aDVll on August 09, 2016, 01:24:29 PM
I think the default log line limit needs to be changed because it's too low. In a few hours you passed that. I know we still have logs in event viewer but i guess it would help new users.
Thanks for your suggestion. We will think about it along with https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2030.0.

aDVll

Quote from: crasher on August 09, 2016, 11:34:21 PM
Quote from: aDVll on August 09, 2016, 01:24:29 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. We will think about it along with https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2030.0.
Oh you are correct. HJLBX was faster but i somehow missed that topic. Thanks for the link.

shmu26

for programs that open by default on separate desktop, it should offer the user a choice for "same desktop (reduced security)"
EDIT: the option already exists, but should be made more obvious.
idea is like this: first time such a program runs, the user sees a little superimposed window saying: "continue with separate desktop, or use same desktop (reduced security)?"

fixer

Thanks for your suggestion, we'll think about it.