Firefox add-on to backup profile

Started by paulderdash, May 27, 2016, 03:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulderdash

I use a Firefox add-on (FEBE) to periodically backup my profile to C:\Users\xxxx\My Backups\Firefox\My FEBE Firefox Profile
Presumably because Firefox is isolated, it cannot find this directory.
Is there a way to override / allow this, or can I only accomplish the backup by temporarily disabling ReHIPS?
Edit: Too late - I should've posted in the Ask Questions Here thread ...

aDVll

Your profile is copied in your rehips account that was created for the isolated firefox.
What you need to do is open FEBE setting and set the backup location to a place firefox has permission to write. It should be this if you didn't change something.
C:\ReHIPS\Browser
Though it will not be able to backup the extensions that are not located there. For me it was the Acrobat extension and few for FF(Firefox Hello,Multi-process staged rollout,Pocket).

paulderdash

On a similar note:
My Roboform Password Manager stores it's passcards in C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My RoboForm Data\Default Profile.
I guess these would need to be copied to C:\ReHIPS\Browser as well?

aDVll

Don't know exactly how roboform works but yes rehips can't access profile folders.

EDIT: But they should be copied to the exact same folder for the rehips profile. Just try to open roboform with copy user data selected in settings so it gets copied.

paulderdash

@aDVII - just saw your edit now ...

Re: 'Just try to open roboform with copy user data selected in settings so it gets copied' - are you saying there is a 'copy user data' in ReHIPS settings? I can't find it ...

Or do you mean in Roboform settings? You can set the folder for user data there but there is no option to copy.

Indeed I don't see that, or any other user data, copied across to ReHIPSUser1, 2 or 3 ...

aDVll

No in rehips settings. Open rehips gui, click settings, click the tab called programs, there you will see your windows account username and system. You click on the account username and expand the list, Find firefox, double click on it and you will see a new menu shown in the image below. There you can see a copy user data and next to it a checkbox. Select it and click ok so it gets saved.
Now open firefox and try to use your roboform addon? I guess it's an addon. When you try to access it the password should be copied from C:\Users\Paul\Documents\My RoboForm Data to C:\Users\rehipsuserxx\Documents.
If it still doesn't work you might have to browse to the rehips location from within the roboform addon so you can open it. That's assuming the addon doesn't need to communicate with a roboform application. Because if it's that the case firefox is isolated and should not be able to do it. In that case you will need to run the roboform application in the same restricted profile as firefox. If you give more info i can help you because as of now i am speculating what exactly you use and how.

EDIT: Attached the image i forgot earlier in case it will help someone in the future.

paulderdash

Wow thanks for your prompt reply!
I did actually find the setting before you replied.
Roboform access is via an add-on.
Initially it did not work, but Voodooshield blocked something and that could have been the reason. I disabled that, and the second time I tried Roboform worked (after a short delay, presumably because of the data being copied across).
I must say I am liking the ReHIPS idea, quite a nifty implementation - but I will need to play with it for a while to get my head around it.
Glad guys like you are hanging out here  :)
Thanks for your help!

aDVll

No worries mate. Rehips it's pretty easy and secure but like everything you need to play some time with it. If you have any more questions just ask and us playing with the application a bit longer will try to help and if it's a bug or something that needs enhancement no worries, dev team is really active and open to suggestions.

EDIT: JUst a reminder. You should disable copy user data now that you don't need it.You shouldn't leave it on.

paulderdash