Where is Delete Contents feature?

Started by Mr Cryptor, June 14, 2016, 02:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Cryptor

Where is Delete Contents feature eg like in SBIE?

HJLBX

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 14, 2016, 02:14:08 AM

Not yet implemented in a form similar to Sandboxie.  Auto-delete isolated environment is to be explored - and if it can be implemented - in a future build.  How soon I do not know, but it was my # 1 request.

In Settings you will see setting to "Remove ReHIPSUser".  This will completely delete ReHIPSUser in C:\Users\User when you manually delete the isolated environment from Settings > Bound.

Mr.X

Manual and automatic deletion is must-have feature. This is one of the most things I love from Sandboxie... Oh and the ability to put/redirect to a RAM disk (volatile drive at shutdown/reboot) other than system drive.

Umbra

@Mr Cryptor : ReHIPS isn't Sandboxie, and work differently than Sandboxie,  so you should set your mind that way :D

don't use Sandboxie's habits with ReHIPS, behave like sandboxie never existed. :D

@Mr.X  :  that was one of the first request we submitted.

HJLBX

Quote from: Mr.X on June 14, 2016, 06:04:43 AM
Manual and automatic deletion is must-have feature. This is one of the most things I love from Sandboxie... Oh and the ability to put/redirect to a RAM disk (volatile drive at shutdown/reboot) other than system drive.

The install locations of C:\ReHIPS and C:\Users\User\ReHIPSUser is hard-coded.

Submit a feature request to define drive path for both so can set to RAM Drive.

Mr.X

HJLBX

Quote from: Mr.X on June 14, 2016, 06:31:45 AM
Ok guys, thanks.

You would have to make a persistent RAM Drive -- otherwise C:\ReHIPS and C:\Users\User\ReHIPSUser would be deleted every time you rebooted system !

It will cause errors.  When you execute a program with an "Allow in Isolated Environment" rule, then ReHIPS will look for RAM Disk Drive:\ReHIPSUser - but it won't be there because the non-persistent RAM drive dumped it upon reboot... unless you commit changes to the hard drive prior to reboot.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: HJLBX on June 14, 2016, 05:05:07 AM
In Settings you will see setting to "Remove ReHIPSUser".
I don't see that. I saw in ReHIPS control Center>Settings tabs for:
Interface
Protection
Programs
Trusted vendors
Trusted Command Lines
Log

Which one would  "Remove ReHIPSUser" be in? And is there a need to flush it (delete it) out every once in a while?
Are you doing it too?

Quote from: HJLBX on June 14, 2016, 05:05:07 AMThis will completely delete ReHIPSUser in C:\Users\User when you manually delete the isolated environment from Settings > Bound.
"Remove ReHIPSUser" will act like 'Delete Contents in SBIE'?

Thanks in advance.

Mr.X

Quote from: HJLBX on June 14, 2016, 06:39:40 AM
You would have to make a persistent RAM Drive -- otherwise C:\ReHIPS and C:\Users\User\ReHIPSUser would be deleted every time you rebooted system !

It will cause errors.  When you execute a program with an "Allow in Isolated Environment" rule, then ReHIPS will look for RAM Disk Drive:\ReHIPSUser - but it won't be there because the non-persistent RAM drive dumped it upon reboot... unless you commit changes to the hard drive prior to reboot.
I think ReHIPS should be able to re-create the Isolated Environments, i.e., any ReHIPSUser(s) which have been volatilized upon reboot. This way no trace of data remains on any drive.

fixer

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 15, 2016, 01:19:32 PM
Which one would  "Remove ReHIPSUser" be in? And is there a need to flush it (delete it) out every once in a while?
Are you doing it too?
It's called Remove Isolated Environment. It's in Protection tab. You can see description of isolated environment internals here https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2433.msg4613#msg4613 So no, there is no need to flush it once in a while.

Quote from: Mr.X on June 15, 2016, 04:59:58 PM
I think ReHIPS should be able to re-create the Isolated Environments, i.e., any ReHIPSUser(s) which have been volatilized upon reboot. This way no trace of data remains on any drive.
We've got in our TODO list feature to auto-purge isolated environment on close (when isolated program is closed, remove and recreate that isolated environment). But if ReHIPS user profile was deleted from outside, it's not up to ReHIPS, Windows manages users profile folders and I'm afraid it'll start complaining and there isn't much we can do about it.

shmu26

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 14, 2016, 02:14:08 AM

Not yet implemented in a form similar to Sandboxie.  Auto-delete isolated environment is to be explored - and if it can be implemented - in a future build.  How soon I do not know, but it was my # 1 request.

In Settings you will see setting to "Remove ReHIPSUser".  This will completely delete ReHIPSUser in C:\Users\User when you manually delete the isolated environment from Settings > Bound.
please explain how to find Settings > Bound, in v 2.2.0.

fixer

Quote from: shmu26 on July 03, 2016, 01:29:55 AM
In Settings-Programs you can see a tree with real Windows users (including System), isolated environments (or Un-Bound group that contains programs not bound to any isolated environment) and programs. So by Bound I guess he means any isolated environment.

HJLBX

Quote from: fixer on July 03, 2016, 11:04:50 AM
In Settings-Programs you can see a tree with real Windows users (including System), isolated environments (or Un-Bound group that contains programs not bound to any isolated environment) and programs. So by Bound I guess he means any isolated environment.

I think he is asking "How do I find the setting to delete ReHIPSUser."

It is auto-deleted AFTER you delete the Isolated Environment in Settings > Programs > Bound; you delete the Isolated Environment in the list.  Afterwards, ReHIPS will auto-delete the corresponding ReHIPSUser in C:\Users\User\AppData.

You can disable this auto-delete setting in Settings.

Geez... I cannot remember what the name was changed to... I think "Remove Isolated Environment."

aDVll

Quote from: HJLBX on July 03, 2016, 11:14:53 AM

It is auto-deleted AFTER you delete the Isolated Environment in Settings > Programs > Bound; you delete the Isolated Environment in the list.  Afterwards, ReHIPS will auto-delete the corresponding ReHIPSUser in C:\Users\User\AppData.

Geez... I cannot remember what the name was changed to... I think "Remove Isolated Environment."
Yep it's Remove Isolated Environment.

HJLBX

Quote from: aDVll on July 03, 2016, 11:28:16 AM
Quote from: HJLBX on July 03, 2016, 11:14:53 AM

Yep it's Remove Isolated Environment.

LOL...I was the one who requested the wording change...