REHIPS is not Sandboxie, and will not be.

Started by Umbra, June 14, 2016, 08:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 16, 2016, 05:36:54 AM
Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 16, 2016, 05:15:36 AM
Once deleted its never retrievable regardless which method you use to attempt retrieve?
which methods?
Data recovery methods.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: Mr.X on June 16, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
My sole reason to trial ReHIPS:
ReHIPS utilizes Windows built-in mechanisms only, no hooks.
Hooks are bad because?

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 16, 2016, 08:03:50 PM
yes especially with the continues fixes.
You mean SBIE continual fixes for Windows 10?

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: fixer on June 16, 2016, 08:58:59 PM
These files are deleted in usual manner like any other files/folders. You can try to restore them with some special software, like I accidentally deleted my files and want them back.
There's no way to make browser activity un-retrievable under ReHIPS environment?

Umbra

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 17, 2016, 08:30:23 AM
Quote from: Mr.X on June 16, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
My sole reason to trial ReHIPS:
ReHIPS utilizes Windows built-in mechanisms only, no hooks.
Hooks are bad because?

Because it weaken the kernel which reduce its security, and then may create BSODs and other issues.

QuoteYou mean SBIE continual fixes for Windows 10?

Yes, too many fixes then updates needed for everything. Sandboxie is a very good product , but the way they implement their isolation need permanent fixes.

fixer

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on June 17, 2016, 08:43:51 AM
There's no way to make browser activity un-retrievable under ReHIPS environment?
Most browsers support private/incognito/whatever-else-they-call-it mode that doesn't save any cookies, visited sites history, etc. But it's out of ReHIPS scope.

Mr.X

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 17, 2016, 09:25:43 AM
but the way they implement their isolation need permanent fixes.
Permanent and much more often fixes since Windows 10 release. Worst part is some fixes take a long time to see the light of the day.
But to be honest, for my tastes, I prefer Sandboxie functionality without doubt.

Mr Cryptor

I read every post again. Would it be correct to say Rehips is virtualizing the whole desktop whereas SBIE isn't?

aDVll

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on November 25, 2016, 05:28:46 PM
I read every post again. Would it be correct to say Rehips is virtualizing the whole desktop whereas SBIE isn't?
Rehips virtualizes every action of the applications you setup to run isolated.

Umbra

not exactly

Quote from: aDVIIRehips virtualizes every action of the applications you setup to run isolated.

correct.

ReHIPS will sandbox everything you are doing when the softs is run isolated , however ReHIPS bonus feat is that it also monitors what you are doing outside the sandbox,  via its application/process monitoring module (its kinda of  "HIPS" ).

Blomkist

Hi! I'm interested in the product for kid/wife clicks protection. Does it have a whitelist database , or it blocks everything that could access virtualized software?

aDVll

Quote from: Blomkist on November 26, 2016, 08:15:30 AM
Hi! I'm interested in the product for kid/wife clicks protection. Does it have a whitelist database , or it blocks everything that could access virtualized software?
Many programs have default rules, most applications that usually get abused run isolated by default and the rest of unknown application you will get an alert to allow,block or run isolated.
Assuming on usage and kids age i would run the pc a few days in default settings(assuming it's clean) and then go to settings, protection and enable lockdown mode so if kids close rehips it will still protect them.
Note if you do this you will not get alert and everything unknown will be blocked.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: umbrapolaris on November 26, 2016, 08:06:46 AM

not exactly

Quote from: aDVIIRehips virtualizes every action of the applications you setup to run isolated.

correct.

ReHIPS will sandbox everything you are doing when the softs is run isolated , however ReHIPS bonus feat is that it also monitors what you are doing outside the sandbox,  via its application/process monitoring module (its kinda of  "HIPS" ).
Even when using Teamviewer?

Umbra

Quote from: Mr Cryptor on November 26, 2016, 03:00:37 PM

You mean you run Teamviewer as a slave and someone is doing remote control? or the opposite?

Remember that if you launch TeamViewer , you will get an alert (or not, depending the setting you had set) from the "HIPS"  (allow/isolate/block) , in the case you decide to isolate it, you have the option to block internet access to isolated programs.

Mr Cryptor

Quote from: umbrapolaris on November 26, 2016, 05:54:35 PM
Quote from: Mr Cryptor on November 26, 2016, 03:00:37 PM

You mean you run Teamviewer as a slave and someone is doing remote control? or the opposite?

Remember that if you launch TeamViewer , you will get an alert (or not, depending the setting you had set) from the "HIPS"  (allow/isolate/block) , in the case you decide to isolate it, you have the option to block internet access to isolated programs.
I mean I would like Teamviewer running sanboxed whie someone is remote access my computer using the Teamviewer.