firefox -- "your system administrator has blocked this program..."

Started by shmu26, June 20, 2016, 04:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shmu26

I can open firefox sandboxed, on my primary desktop, but when I do so, I get this windows error message.
However, I don't see any issues with actual functioning of firefox. Just a bothersome error message.

aDVll

To start just try removing all firefox rules from rehips and then reinstalling rules. If that doesn't work give info so devs can try to reproduce the problem.

shmu26

this issue is what happened after deleting rules and reinstalling.

every time I delete rules and reinstall them, I end up with a bunch of rules under the "blocked" tab. I don't understand why that happens. Then I go and delete those rules, because I don't want to block chrome and adobe reader etc.

info: windows 10 x64 stable build
firefox 47.0 x64
rehips 2.2.0

EDIT: other security softs:
hitmanpro.alert
webroot secureanywhere 2016
adguard (full program)

log attached

aDVll

Those blocks are for system not user. They are fine as they are. Reinstall rules again if you deleted them and let them be. After that confirm issue it's still there.
Also i am pretty sure webroot has a list of unknown applications so go there and change it from monitor to allow and see if that helps.

shmu26

I reinstalled rules and did not mess with them this time.
did not help.
I tried allowing firefox in webroot, did not help.
I tried exiting webroot, and it solved the problem.
silly webroot!

thanks for help.

aDVll

Weird i was running webroot a while back with rehips and it working ok. Don't remember what i allowed. probably this

shmu26

last time I had a conflict with webroot and firefox, what you said did solve the problem.
but that was not rehips related. firefox simply would not start up, if it was protected.

aDVll

I see. I am not sure what webroot does atm. I was not happy with it and stopped using it.

Umbra

Firefox is a real messed-up browser; i barely have any issues with Chrome.

fixer

When some program is Allowed in isolation, the following happens: initial process is denied to execute and thus terminated (just like as if the process was blocked) and then restarted in isolation. When process is denied to execute, CreateProcess API returns error code which usually leads to error message something like
QuoteYour system administrator has blocked this program. For more information, contact your system administrator.
But if Auto-Close Error Windows on Protection tab is checked (by default) these error windows are supposed to be automatically closed. What shell do you use? Do you start firefox from explorer.exe? Maybe some video? What OS do you use?

shmu26

I think you nailed the problem. I unchecked the auto-close error windows.

shmu26

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 20, 2016, 07:19:54 PM
Firefox is a real messed-up browser; i barely have any issues with Chrome.
but you cannot try out ReHips with chrome, if you have a lot of extensions. As soon as chrome starts, you go over your limit of 10 isolated apps a session, and you're beat before you start.

fixer

This beta version is the same as release version. And release version without license key is demo version. That's what demo is for, if there are no limitations, what's the point in demo :)

CyberGhosT

In Demo Limit the amount of time they can use the product that way, the prospective customer get's the full ReHIPS experience.
limiting the functionality hobbles the user experience, first impressions sell products, not the promise of something better
later.
JMHO
PeAcE

aDVll

Quote from: CyberGhosT on June 23, 2016, 09:09:21 AM
In Demo Limit the amount of time they can use the product that way, the prospective customer get's the full ReHIPS experience.
limiting the functionality hobbles the user experience, first impressions sell products, not the promise of something better
later.
JMHO
PeAcE
Rehips is full offline solution. I understand what you are saying but i assume rehips does it like this for a very specific and justified reason. If it was a trial and not a demo, a trial reset will be made in minutes and 90% of users will get it from warez. Only program that bypasses the limit is chrome based browsers when you have a lot of extensions so i don't really see a problem. All my vm have rehips unregistered and i am fine. Tbh the limit they have is too high in my opinion. If it was my company i would change the limit to 3-4.