QBittorrent, does not start with deployhelper

Started by harsha_mic, July 30, 2016, 10:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harsha_mic

Hello,

This is my first post here after installing the software for the first time. So, please execuse me if a topic isn't supposed to be created for it.

It seems that i am unable to install qbittorrent in isolated environment.

Steps followed -

Expected Result -

• Program should be installed succesfully in isolated environment (i am thinking this is what supposed to happen)
Actual Result -

• Got an error message stating - "Failed to start process"

My System Info -

• W10 Home 64 bit + Eset AV 9 + HMPA

Thanks, Harsha

aDVll

Basically a better way to use rehips is this. It's just easier and makes more sense for maintenance doing it this way.

• Install the program normally
  • Run the program. When you get an alert select to run isolated
  • You go in settings and disable different desktop and hook control
  • If program launches ok then all good continue as normal. If program fails to launch it means it needs hooks and you need to enable hook control and different desktop. 

harsha_mic

Thanks for your quick reply.

Quote from: aDVll on July 30, 2016, 10:10:47 PM
Basically a better way to use rehips is this. It's just easier and makes more sense for maintenance doing it this way.

• Install the program normally
Ok. I think i understand this. However, isn't it possible to install the application itself in the isolated environment. This way the app will not touch real user registry hive and system will be clean  :). And i could simply delete the environment, if i don't need the program anymore.

Quote from: aDVll on July 30, 2016, 10:10:47 PM
  • You go in settings and disable different desktop and hook control
I did not get what you mean by different desktop. Can you explain.

Note: If its not possible to install in separate isolated environment, i will then install and use as you have suggested. Thanks. I am just trying to understand the product better.

aDVll

Sure in theory you can install with deployhelper but for some reason the installer of qbittorrent doesn't start at all that way. I tried it and that is why i suggested the other way.
When devs check this topic out they will see why deployhelper fails with qbitttorent. I am not capable enough to identify that. ;)

About your second comment if you expand the menu you get this settings which is those i mention. Basically the reason you hope it doesn't needs hooks it's because then you don't have to use different desktop and alter your user experience.
http://i.imgur.com/wRjlU3W.jpg

harsha_mic

Thanks for you reply. It is my first day of installation and late in the mid-night. Guess i will sleep for now, and take a look at it tomorrow.

Quote from: aDVll on July 30, 2016, 10:28:00 PM
Sure in theory you can install with deployhelper but for some reason the installer of qbittorrent doesn't start at all that way. I tried it and that is why i suggested the other way.
Thanks for checking it out. The reason i wanted this way is that, if you have some programs, which if you want to use it for just few days or make it completely isolated, then installation of isolated env. is a great feature to me. Though i am yet to see and feel the altered desktop experience and usage ;)

Quote from: aDVll on July 30, 2016, 10:28:00 PM
About your second comment if you expand the menu you get this settings which is those i mention. Basically the reason you hope it doesn't needs hooks it's because then you don't have to use different desktop and alter your user experience.
http://i.imgur.com/wRjlU3W.jpg
I will read the help file tomorrow.

Some off-topic questions

• Is Pro Vs Free version, any other differences except 10 Isolation limit. I meant, does free version HIPS portion is same as Pro Version ( i am already starting to like it, i might buy it once it is released a stable version
  • Will the license be one year or life time

aDVll

QuoteThanks for checking it out. The reason i wanted this way is that, if you have some programs, which if you want to use it for just few days or make it completely isolated, then installation of isolated env. is a great feature to me. Though i am yet to see and feel the altered desktop experience and usage ;)
Start IE and you will understand. It launches on a different desktop.

QuoteSome off-topic questions

• Is Pro Vs Free version, any other differences except 10 Isolation limit. I meant, does free version HIPS portion is same as Pro Version ( i am already starting to like it, i might buy it once it is released a stable version
  • Will the license be one year or life time
1.Pro and free only differences is the nag screen at boot and the limit of 10 processes.
2.They still didn't announce how licences will work for the new version so we don't know if they will have lifetime licences or anything else.

fixer

Most likely you tried to start installer from some user (real or ReHIPS) profile folder (for example, Desktop). Isolated programs (and programs started by DeployHelper are isolated to some extent) don't have any access to other users profile folders. This is already mitigated and will be available in future builds, one-file installers can be started from anywhere.

Regarding qbittorrent. Its installer requires administrator privileges and installs the program into Program Files. So if you want to delete it, removing isolated environment won't be enough. Either uninstall it the standard way or manually remove its Program Files folder after removal of isolated environment.

aDVll

So yes Fixer is right. If you make a folder in C for example "C:\Test" a d copy the qbittorent installer there and then use deployhelper then it will work. Reason it failed for me ealier was before i was launching from rehips browser folder.
Btw i also check and qbittorent needs hooks so it will be launched in a different desktop. No need to do step 3 i mentioned.

HJLBX

Quote from: aDVll on July 31, 2016, 02:16:38 PM
So yes Fixer is right. If you make a folder in C for example "C:\Test" a d copy the qbittorent installer there and then use deployhelper then it will work. Reason it failed for me ealier was before i was launching from rehips browser folder.
Btw i also check and qbittorent needs hooks so it will be launched in a different desktop. No need to do step 3 i mentioned.

When using ReHIPSDeployHelper, isn't it the correct method to move the installer to the drive root ?

For example, C:\ReHIPSDeployHelper Installation Folder ?

If yes, then it might be a convenient feature to add such a folder at ReHIPS installation.

However, what is the proper technique when using ReHIPSDeployHelper to configure the isolated environment for a program already on the system and installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ?

LOL... I forgot !

aDVll

Quote from: HJLBX on July 31, 2016, 09:46:08 PM

When using ReHIPSDeployHelper, isn't it the correct method to move the installer to the drive root ?

If yes, then it might be a convenient feature to add such a folder at ReHIPS installation.
In the future build deployhelper will get permission to read and copy the file anywhere. Location will not matter. For now it's true root folder should work. Any non user or rehips folders should work.

QuoteHowever, what is the proper technique when using ReHIPSDeployHelper to configure the isolated environment for a program already on the system and installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ?

LOL... I forgot !
You can right click on the program and select run isolated. I assume this is what you mean.

HJLBX

Quote from: aDVll on July 31, 2016, 09:49:46 PM
Quote from: HJLBX on July 31, 2016, 09:46:08 PM

In the future build deployhelper will get permission to read and copy the file anywhere. Location will not matter. For now it's true root folder should work. Any non user or rehips folders should work.

QuoteHowever, what is the proper technique when using ReHIPSDeployHelper to configure the isolated environment for a program already on the system and installed to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ?

LOL... I forgot !
You can right click on the program and select run isolated. I assume this is what you mean.

Yeah... but I noticed this last method configuring programs to run isolated sometimes causes issues - the program will mis-behave in certain ways upon first execution.  I think it is really because there needs to be a program restart - even after copying the user data.

I personally would use ReHIPSDeployHelper from jump = clean install OS, immediately install ReHIPS, install desired softs and use DeployHelper with the initial installer.

I haven't tried that, but maybe that's the best way to do it.

Sounds like a project for a rainy day...

aDVll

No idea tbh. Never use deployhelper. You might be right but never tested it well enough to know.

harsha_mic

Quote from: fixer on July 31, 2016, 12:28:36 PM
Most likely you tried to start installer from some user (real or ReHIPS) profile folder (for example, Desktop). Isolated programs (and programs started by DeployHelper are isolated to some extent) don't have any access to other users profile folders. This is already mitigated and will be available in future builds, one-file installers can be started from anywhere.
Yes, I have tried deployerhelper directly from download folder in rehips user directory.

Try 1: I also tried to copy the folder in c:\rehips\browser folder. Still cannot install, even selecting "deployherlper with administrator"
Try 2: And then i copied it to c:\test\ and then able to install with "deployherlper with administrator". Even here, the installation window came after couple of minutes.

Observation 1:  Is this an expected behavior? (i.e., installation window comes up after long time as said in try 2 step)
Observation 2: I see qbittorrent folder installed in real folder (i.e., C:\Program Files (x86)\qBittorrent). Is this expected?

I believe, answer to observation 2 above, is below. i.e., programs will be installed in real user directory even with deployhelper..

Regarding qbittorrent. Its installer requires administrator privileges and installs the program into Program Files. So if you want to delete it, removing isolated environment won't be enough. Either uninstall it the standard way or manually remove its Program Files folder after removal of isolated environment.

aDVll

Quote from: harsha_mic on August 09, 2016, 05:29:54 PM
Yes, I have tried deployerhelper directly from download folder in rehips user directory.
I also tried to copy the folder in c:\rehips\browser folder. Still cannot install, even selecting "deployherlper with adminstrator"
And then i copied it to c:\test\ and then able to install with "deployherlper with adminstrator". Even here, the installation window came after couple of minutes. Is this an expected behavior? (i.e., installation window comes up after long time)
What OS do you use? There is a bug of windows that user creation freezes(2-3min) and maybe that is what happened. That bug though seems to have been fixed in windows 10 anniversary update. If you use another OS or version you will probably have to wait until Microsoft decides to push the fix to that.

harsha_mic

Quote from: aDVll on August 09, 2016, 05:37:31 PM
What OS do you use? There is a bug of windows that user creation freezes(2-3min) and maybe that is what happened. That bug though seems to have been fixed in windows 10 anniversary update. If you use another OS or version you will probably have to wait until Microsoft decides to push the fix to that.
I use W10 64 bit Home edition. And that explains the reason!! Thank You.
I am yet to install W10 AU. However, the update is blocked by ReHIPS. I will uninstall ReHIPS and then install AU.
Thanks Again for you quick reply and to other posts! ;)