Rehips - "Failed to open service link."

Started by jacemace, September 21, 2016, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacemace

Got this error again at windows startup - "Failed to open service link."
Have to open C:\Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS and run HIPSGui64.exe manually.
Here is a screenshot - http://i.imgur.com/7ZDovY8.jpg

aDVll

• Are you running rehips on a windows admin account or standard user account?
  • What other security software if any do you use with rehips?
  • Does it happen at every pc boot? Even when restarting?
  • What OS and version you use?

Umbra

Quote from: aDVll on September 21, 2016, 11:33:06 PM
  • What other security software if any do you use with rehips?

he uses , and i quote:

Quoteas I said, so glad rehips is back - and running with many other security software - my setup is still the same - avast, comodo, spyshelter, zemana am, mbam ae, adguard, anvir, winpatrol, appguard - and my mozilla browsers have noscript, ublock, umatrix, policeman, request policy. all working with rehips.

HJLBX

Quote from: umbrapolaris on September 22, 2016, 08:08:58 AM

he uses , and i quote:

Quote... my setup is still the same - avast, comodo, spyshelter, zemana am, mbam ae, adguard, anvir, winpatrol, appguard - and my mozilla browsers have noscript, ublock, umatrix, policeman, request policy. all working with rehips.

Really ?

jacemace

Yes, as quoted by umbrapolaris - that is the security software I use.

Of the month or so I've been using rehips, the service error only happened once as an anomaly early on - now it is happening on every boot. I am guessing appguard, spyshelter, or an avast update may be responsible, not sure. I will try an uninstall, and reinstall of rehips - even though it takes a long time.

OS is windows 8.1 - user account is local account administrator.

I am going to put rehips and hipsgui64 in appguards power applications, so that they are exempt.
I've never liked the settings in avast and spyshelter, but I will add them to the safe list also - even though avast especially just seems to not respond to whitelisting.
Comodo did act strange recently, when I switched the hips from safe to disabled for an install of an android emulator. Hopefully comodo is not interfering with rehips.

As I said rehips worked excellently with these programs, until a couple of days ago - now, on every boot, the error occurs - and I have to launch the hipsgui64 interface from the rehips program folder.

jacemace

HJLBX - yes, it seems like a lot - but I feel like I could drop any piece of malware on the computer, and nothing would happen - that being said, the computer performs well and the security software is not cpu and/or disk intensive - except for avast (service) on boot, because avast has the default settings of rootkit scan and raw disk access during the avast boot scan - so the disk gets heavy usage during boot from avast.

Umbra

@jacemace If any of your security apps drop dll injection (like MBAE)  into ReHIPS the service error is likely to occurs. if you want check who is the culprit; just uninstall each of them one by one, then reboot every time after until ReHIPS error stop.

but honestly, just ReHIPS + Appguard will give you 99.99% security. All other softs are useless when Appguard is there (and create conflict).

aDVll

Quote from: jacemace on September 23, 2016, 04:20:31 AM
Yes, as quoted by umbrapolaris - that is the security software I use.

Of the month or so I've been using rehips, the service error only happened once as an anomaly early on - now it is happening on every boot. I am guessing appguard, spyshelter, or an avast update may be responsible, not sure. I will try an uninstall, and reinstall of rehips - even though it takes a long time.

OS is windows 8.1 - user account is local account administrator.

I am going to put rehips and hipsgui64 in appguards power applications, so that they are exempt.https://forum.re-crypt.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/img.gif
I've never liked the settings in avast and spyshelter, but I will add them to the safe list also - even though avast especially just seems to not respond to whitelisting.
Comodo did act strange recently, when I switched the hips from safe to disabled for an install of an android emulator. Hopefully comodo is not interfering with rehips.

As I said rehips worked excellently with these programs, until a couple of days ago - now, on every boot, the error occurs - and I have to launch the hipsgui64 interface from the rehips program folder.
Add all of this buddy to power applications/exception list.

fixer

So HIPSGui64.exe throws "Failed to open service link" error on startup, but if you later start HIPSGui64.exe manually it works OK? Am I correct?
Since 2.2.0 version HIPSGui uses sockets to communicate with Service. And it were pipes before 2.2.0. What ReHIPS version do you use?
My best guess is that some other security software blocks something. It's either Service execution or sockets communication. Well it doesn't completely block, but rather hangs it for some time (maybe waits for some usermode component to start to help decide, whether it should be allowed).
What exactly is blocked can be deduced from logs in Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->ReCrypt. If there are some early events like HIPSGui64 starting, then most likely Service started before GUI. And if Service started before GUI, then my bet is on blocked sockets communication.

jacemace

A fix to hipsgui64.exe startup. I knew the rehips hipsgui startup location was in the all users startup folder at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, because winpatrol and anvir told me of the new startup location when I installed rehips a month or so ago. Even on the reinstall of rehips I did a few days ago (after I used mbytes jrt, and the rehips gui service gave the fail to start error), I still expected hipsgui64 to be in the startup folder. Well, it wasn't.

I had another item in the startup folder, and I saw that it was labelled as a shortcut - so I tried to add hipsgui64.exe from the rehips program folder as a shortcut to the startup folder - windows didn't allow it - it would only say, it can't do this, and would you like to place the shortcut on the desktop (I should have done this right away, and then copied the desktop shortcut, to the startup folder shortcut). But I didn't (yet) - I copied the full hipsgui64.exe from the rehips program folder and placed it in startup folder. Then I got the windows error alluded to earlier - can not start the program because qt5winextras.dll is missing - which I previously felt the dll was missing because of the mbytes jrt scan/clean.

I deleted the full hipsgui64.exe from the startup folder, created the hipsgui64 shortcut on the desktop, copied the desktop shortcut to the startup folder (which asked for administrator that seemed slightly different in the dialogue box from when I added the full hipsgui64.exe).
This worked. I tried to edit the name of hipsgui64.exe in the startup folder, because it had the word shortcut after it - and my other startup folder item didn't - but it asked for administrator privileges, and I didn't want to mess with it. It also has .exe at the end of it, while my other startup item doesn't. (If I remember the original install of rehips, the hipsgui64 startup folder icon was exactly like my other startup item, with no .exe, and no following word shortcut as description, just hipsgui64 - that's why I tried to edit the name, but left it because windows asked for administrator privileges, and it was working as named.)

HJLBX

Quote from: umbrapolaris on September 23, 2016, 08:06:59 AM
but honestly, just ReHIPS + Appguard will give you 99.99% security. All other softs are useless when Appguard is there (and create conflict).

ReHIPS + Appguard; ReHIPS isolates and Appguard protects access rights if you have to run a program outside of isolated environment.

Overkill combo, but what the hell -- the best two security softs on market... so it just makes perfect sense to combo the two for those that want locktite system.

You would have to try really, really, really hard to find a malware that can persistently infect system; it is much more likely you will infect your system by making a mistake than any malware bypassing either product.  The odds of a malware bypassing BOTH Appguard and ReHIPS is an extremely small probability.

Umbra

yep i feel very safe lol, and for the win, i have HMPA for covering Process Hollowing and guaranteing keystroke encryption. :D

aDVll

Quote from: jacemace on September 23, 2016, 11:50:30 PM
A fix to hipsgui64.exe startup. I knew the rehips hipsgui startup location was in the all users startup folder at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, because winpatrol and anvir told me of the new startup location when I installed rehips a month or so ago. Even on the reinstall of rehips I did a few days ago (after I used mbytes jrt, and the rehips gui service gave the fail to start error), I still expected hipsgui64 to be in the startup folder. Well, it wasn't.

I had another item in the startup folder, and I saw that it was labelled as a shortcut - so I tried to add hipsgui64.exe from the rehips program folder as a shortcut to the startup folder - windows didn't allow it - it would only say, it can't do this, and would you like to place the shortcut on the desktop (I should have done this right away, and then copied the desktop shortcut, to the startup folder shortcut). But I didn't (yet) - I copied the full hipsgui64.exe from the rehips program folder and placed it in startup folder. Then I got the windows error alluded to earlier - can not start the program because qt5winextras.dll is missing - which I previously felt the dll was missing because of the mbytes jrt scan/clean.

I deleted the full hipsgui64.exe from the startup folder, created the hipsgui64 shortcut on the desktop, copied the desktop shortcut to the startup folder (which asked for administrator that seemed slightly different in the dialogue box from when I added the full hipsgui64.exe).
This worked. I tried to edit the name of hipsgui64.exe in the startup folder, because it had the word shortcut after it - and my other startup folder item didn't - but it asked for administrator privileges, and I didn't want to mess with it. It also has .exe at the end of it, while my other startup item doesn't. (If I remember the original install of rehips, the hipsgui64 startup folder icon was exactly like my other startup item, with no .exe, and no following word shortcut as description, just hipsgui64 - that's why I tried to edit the name, but left it because windows asked for administrator privileges, and it was working as named.)
Assuming you have version 2.2.0 it's a known bug that is already fixed for the release version. If you uninstall and then reinstall rehips it doesn't get added in startup again. If you add manually you will be fine.
So it's working again now?

https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2181.0

jacemace

Hi, sorry I didn't reply right away - I was taking a few days to see if windows started consistently with the rehips gui - rehips has done so for the last few days. It starts every time with the hipsgui64 interface. So the fix was to put the hipsgui64 .ink shortcut in the startup folder not the whole exe file. If you can not do this directly because windows forbids it - put the shortcut on the desktop or wherever, and then copy the shortcut into the startup folder - if you put the whole exe in the startup folder you will get windows errors.

PS - the link https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php/topic,2181.0.html doesn't work for me - I get this error - "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

aDVll

Yeah link is for closed beta forum.Sorry.

So can you confirm that you use rehips 2.2.0 and in the past installed rehips on this pc and then uninstalled?