[Feedbacks] Umbra's observations/advices/requests

Started by Umbra, November 08, 2015, 08:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbra

hello so there will be listed all my observations, advices , requests.

08/11/2015

Request

1- a training mode with possibility to select how long it last in terms of hours or days. Many of us are using complex other security softwares, those combined with ReHIps can mess up the whole system. in my case ReHips disallow me to use Chrome with Sandboxie and Hitman Pro Alert. it also hampered the use of Rollback Rx.

2- We need an easier interface like a new tab in Settings for whitelisting/blacklisting,  files,processes and folders via command lines or browsing. Waiting Rehips to show a popup can be annoying if we have many apps to list.

3- In virtual desktops , a colored border around the apps will be welcomed. This could be implemented in setting via opt-in/opt-out. sometimes i cant remember which apps is isolated or not :p

schelkunov

Thank you for the feedback.

> 1- a training mode with possibility to select how long it last in terms of hours or days. Many of us are using complex other security softwares, those combined with ReHIps can mess up the whole system. in my case ReHips disallow me to use Chrome with Sandboxie and Hitman Pro Alert. it also hampered the use of Rollback R

Sometimes bugs are not on our side :) But, of course, we'll try to increase  a compatibility with other security software. About training mode... Could you get more detailed description of what you mean?

> 2- We need an easier interface like a new tab in Settings for whitelisting/blacklisting,  files,processes and folders via command lines or browsing. Waiting Rehips to show a popup can be annoying if we have many apps to list.

Do you mean Programs tab? You can add an application, its execution mode and its access rights right there. About folders with applications and adding multiple applications at once... We'll think about it.

> 3- In virtual desktops , a colored border around the apps will be welcomed. This could be implemented in setting via opt-in/opt-out. sometimes i cant remember which apps is isolated or not :p

All programs on virtual desktops are always isolated. All isolated programs on the main desktop have red colored borders around windows.

Umbra

Quote from: schelkunov on November 08, 2015, 10:23:43 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

Sometimes bugs are not on our side :) But, of course, we'll try to increase  a compatibility with other security software. About training mode... Could you get more detailed description of what you mean?

Training Mode : you put it in main interface or in tray icon , this mode will whitelist all processes running/installing for a certain duration decided by the user (hours, days weeks). in program like Appguard or ExeRadarPro, it avoid the rain of popup when installing softwares or running them after ReHips is installed. in some case, other security softwares may not function properly.

Quote> 2- We need an easier interface like a new tab in Settings for whitelisting/blacklisting,  files,processes and folders via command lines or browsing. Waiting Rehips to show a popup can be annoying if we have many apps to list.

Do you mean Programs tab? You can add an application, its execution mode and its access rights right there. About folders with applications and adding multiple applications at once... We'll think about it.

yes excluding folders with multiple executables will simplify users life; some apps may have dozen of exe, adding them one by one is tedious. Not saying if you want Rehips be popular , ease of use is a priority especially for beginners.

Umbra

requests/suggestions:

- the log tab should be interactive , we should be able to block/allow/edit processes from there.

observations

- many system files are not whitelisted
- i cant find where blocked processes/files are listed.

schelkunov

> Training Mode : you put it in main interface or in tray icon , this mode will whitelist all processes running/installing for a certain duration decided by the user (hours, days weeks). in program like Appguard or ExeRadarPro, it avoid the rain of popup when installing softwares or running them after ReHips is installed. in some case, other security softwares may not function properly.

Good idea. But what if we simply extend our initial database with predefined rules? Training mode could allow a malware. A PC must be clear of malware before starting of learning.

> - the log tab should be interactive , we should be able to block/allow/edit processes from there.

Understood. Thank you.

> - many system files are not whitelisted

We would be grateful if you list these files here and we'll add them to our database.

> - i cant find where blocked processes/files are listed.

We didn't create a separate category with blocked files. Open Settings->Programs tab. Push Ctrl + F and you can find an appropriate file by name. You are right. It's a good idea to separate blocked applications.

PS. We have a question. What do you think about predefined isolated applications in our initial database? Is it not too strict?

Umbra

Quote from: schelkunov on November 11, 2015, 11:47:10 AM
> Training Mode : you put it in main interface or in tray icon , this mode will whitelist all processes running/installing for a certain duration decided by the user (hours, days weeks). in program like Appguard or ExeRadarPro, it avoid the rain of popup when installing softwares or running them after ReHips is installed. in some case, other security softwares may not function properly.

Good idea. But what if we simply extend our initial database with predefined rules? Training mode could allow a malware. A PC must be clear of malware before starting of learning.

Indeed initial database must be updated regularly , Windows & Office Updates often add new files.  you are also right , the PC must be clean, but it is mostly the user responsibility to verify this, you could add a warning when the training mode is activated. not saying some softwares add lot of unknown files during installation, hence the Training Mode activated when the software is sure to be safe.

Quote> - many system files are not whitelisted

We would be grateful if you list these files here and we'll add them to our database.

i dont recall of them i clicked many, bus most were in system32

Quote> - i cant find where blocked processes/files are listed.

We didn't create a separate category with blocked files. Open Settings->Programs tab. Push Ctrl + F and you can find an appropriate file by name. You are right. It's a good idea to separate blocked applications.

thank you

QuotePS. We have a question. What do you think about predefined isolated applications in our initial database? Is it not too strict?

i didn't had issue with them yet , i will take a closer look and gives you feedback very  soon.

schelkunov

Thank you for the feedback. We'll group all remarks and suggestions from all beta-testers (like I did here) a bit later.

Umbra

ok, tested ReHIPS with a low-end mini-laptop (Atom CPU, 1GB RAM  :p ) , ReHIPS is working flawlessly , definitely a keeper on this machine; it will replace Shadow Defender, Sandboxie and Appguard for this machine.

aDVll

Quote from: umbrapolaris on June 08, 2016, 09:36:42 AM
ok, tested ReHIPS with a low-end mini-laptop (Atom CPU, 1GB RAM  :p ) , ReHIPS is working flawlessly , definitely a keeper on this machine; it will replace Shadow Defender, Sandboxie and Appguard for this machine.
Especially if you run lockdown mode without the gui.  ;)

Umbra