Win 7 64-bit, system hangs at login...

Started by Funnelhead, March 27, 2017, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funnelhead

** post edited slightly to better explain the issue I'm having **

Greetings ReHIPSers,

I've been testing ReHIPS 2.2.0 for a few days now, primarily switching it to learning mode (i.e. disabled at startup) and then playing around with different browsers and programs. My first time booting up with ReHIPS active/learning is causing my system to freeze at the 'Welcome...' screen on Win 7 64-bit. No HDD activity during that time either it seems. I've barely played with any settings within ReHIPS, and have since tried a clean install just to make sure I hadn't inadvertently changed a setting or two: no change either way.

I'm using very little else in terms of real-time security, just Win 7 MSE with occasional (on-demand) scans from Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I'm not entirely sure what sort of further info might be relevant at this point. I don't think I've tested a Beta release of anything, but ReHIPS has definitely caught my attention.

If this is one of those questions that has already been asked 584 times then you have my apologies in advance.  ;D

Umbra

Are you on Admin Account or SUA?

in both case, anyway ReHIPS is loading at startup , only the GUI doesn't if you are on SUA , for that you have to do 2 steps:

1- go to : Settings > interface  > tick "autostart"
2- go to : Settings > Trusted Users > move the SUA account to the Trusted Users column.

Try this and report to us if any amelioration (or not) are visible.

Funnelhead

Thanks for the quick reply Umbra -

Just to clarify what I'd meant to say; I was initially booting to the desktop with ReHIPS deactivated, and only changing it to learning mode from the desktop (and back again before powering down). I've been running it from a SUA.

I'll report back shortly.

Funnelhead

Quote from: umbrapolaris on March 27, 2017, 04:28:58 PM
Are you on Admin Account or SUA?

in both case, anyway ReHIPS is loading at startup , only the GUI doesn't if you are on SUA , for that you have to do 2 steps:

1- go to : Settings > interface  > tick "autostart"
2- go to : Settings > Trusted Users > move the SUA account to the Trusted Users column.

Try this and report to us if any amelioration (or not) are visible.

No difference unfortunately - I can't access either account (admin or SUA), just hangs at the welcome screen. Only option at the moment is booting in safe mode and/or uninstalling ReHIPS.

Umbra

Did you collect the logs before uninstalling? because this is the kind of issues the devs like to be aware of.

Funnelhead

No I didn't I'm afraid, but I don't mind recreating the issue with a new installation. Does ReHIPS have it's own log files or would I be looking for the output in Event Viewer?

aDVll

Quote from: Funnelhead on March 28, 2017, 11:27:05 AM
No I didn't I'm afraid, but I don't mind recreating the issue with a new installation. Does ReHIPS have it's own log files or would I be looking for the output in Event Viewer?
Rehips has a section in event logs with it's own logs. You can export that when you manage to reproduce your issue.

crasher

Hello, Funnelhead.

Thank you for your report. We'll be very grateful if you help us investigate it.

If autostart is disabled, Windows boots OK. Am I correct? What if autostart is enabled, but ReHIPS mode is set to disabled, does it boot OK? I suppose you have Lock-Down mode in Settings set to Disabled?

Funnelhead

Hi Crasher,

Quote from: crasher on March 28, 2017, 12:42:03 PMWhat if autostart is enabled, but ReHIPS mode is set to disabled, does it boot OK?

Yep, that's what I meant to say if my first thread. With ReHIPS disabled but autostart enabled, it loads just fine. I can then set it to Learning or above from the control center and use normally, and deactivate prior to logging off.

Quote from: crasher on March 28, 2017, 12:42:03 PMIf autostart is disabled, Windows boots OK. Am I correct?

Not quite; with autostart enabled and ReHIPS set to Learning or above, it freezes at the welcome screen. This is true both for my SUA and Admin accounts. I've yet to try it with autostart disabled but ReHIPS active.

Opening post now edited for clarity.

Funnelhead

... and assuming lock-down mode is off by default, then it will have been disabled the whole time.

crasher

Could you send me ReHIPS events log from Windows Event Log-Applications and Services Log-ReCrypt, it has all events, including the ones occurred without GUI?

Do Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Del do anything? Or hung welcome screen is still shown?

Funnelhead

Quote from: crasher on March 28, 2017, 01:36:28 PM
Could you send me ReHIPS events log from Windows Event Log-Applications and Services Log-ReCrypt, it has all events, including the ones occurred without GUI?

Do Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Del do anything? Or hung welcome screen is still shown?

Do you mean the logs specifically from after the freeze/crash at the welcome screen? If so, the system is entirely unresponsive, forcing me to reboot or power off. But, I may be able to access the event viewer from Safe Mode after I've restarted, but prior to uninstalling ReHIPS. Let me know if you think this might help!

crasher

That's right, logs AFTER it hung, but before uninstall. ReHIPS isn't loaded in safe mode, bug logs are accessible from there, so safe mode is the best way to go. And try the shortcuts I previously mentioned, who knows, maybe it's not hung completely and they'll help get to the desktop.  Thank you for your help.

Funnelhead

Recreated the error again; neither of the shortcuts listed above make any difference during the welcome screen. I'm now back in to safe mode and looking at the Event Viewer.

Should I be selecting Event Viewer > Apps & Service Logs > ReCrypt > Save All Events ?

crasher

Yeah, save all events in a file, upload the file somewhere and give me the link. We'll take a look, maybe it'll shed some light on what went wrong.