Win 7 64-bit, system hangs at login...

Started by Funnelhead, March 27, 2017, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crasher

We examined the log. Between 13:38:00 and 13:44:39 (the last event for today) of today it doesn't seem like OS was booted. More looks like some user session was in process, someone was doing something, launching vivaldi, closing mmc, and then rebooted or shut Windows down. Are you sure you just booted, encountered hung welcome and reset the computer around 13:43-13:44?

These opened handles are OK, ReHIPS monitors for changes in installed software to install rules for new software if needed. But could you also please check Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application and System, maybe there are some program crashing events or anything else out of place?

Funnelhead

Yeah, now that I've had a closer look myself, ReCrypt log doesn't seem to show anything at the point where the system boots and ultimately results in the freeze/crash.

Under Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application there are a few entries marked 13:45 / 46 and then nothing until a minute or so later when I power the machine off "13:46:58 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first."

In particular, one entry states "14:45:05 The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logon)."

That's preceded by one that states "The EventSystem sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries for a duration of 86400 seconds." and another "The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004)".

I can see one or two others that relate to Adobe Update Manager (or whatever it's called) and another for the iGPU.

I'll try a few further reboots just to check the timings for some of these entries...

Funnelhead

Update:

After a bit of research, I decided to go down the route of restarting the system with a clean boot - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows.

Via safe mode & msconfig, I deactivated all 3rd-party services (and all startup items) apart from ReHIPS service and the .exe file that appears in the startup tab. Through some trial and error, I've managed to narrow it down to the following services as appearing to interfere with ReHIPS during boot.

Asus Com Service
Asus HM Com Service
Bonjour Service

The first two are components of ASUS AI Suite, which I use specifically for Fan Xpert 2 (fan control software). This is relatively old software for a Z77 chipset, but it's also the newest incarnation that my motherboard supports.

I'm not even sure if I need Bonjour service at this point; I've long forgotten which programs required it, and similarly, it's probably hasn't been updated for a few years.

Although I'm tempted to remove and/or update all of the offending services, I'll leave them as they are for now, in case the ReHIPS team want me to provide any more data.

aDVll

Quote from: Funnelhead on March 29, 2017, 05:47:34 PM
Update:

After a bit of research, I decided to go down the route of restarting the system with a clean boot - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows.

Via safe mode & msconfig, I deactivated all 3rd-party services (and all startup items) apart from ReHIPS service and the .exe file that appears in the startup tab. Through some trial and error, I've managed to narrow it down to the following services as appearing to interfere with ReHIPS during boot.

Asus Com Service
Asus HM Com Service
Bonjour Service

The first two are components of ASUS AI Suite, which I use specifically for Fan Xpert 2 (fan control software). This is relatively old software for a Z77 chipset, but it's also the newest incarnation that my motherboard supports.

I'm not even sure if I need Bonjour service at this point; I've long forgotten which programs required it, and similarly, it's probably hasn't been updated for a few years.

Although I'm tempted to remove and/or update all of the offending services, I'll leave them as they are for now, in case the ReHIPS team want me to provide any more data.
You don't have to uninstall the programs. Just change the services startup type to disabled 1 by 1 to see which one is creating the problem.  ;)

Funnelhead

That's how I know that the services listed above are the ones that are causing the problem. Ultimately though, I'd prefer to remove/update or at least find a workaround for those services rather than just deactivate them. Ideally, I need the two ASUS services to be active.

Ozone

do you need those services immediately, if not you can try delayed start for those services

fixer

Funnelhead

Thanks to Fixer and the rest of the team for taking the time to track this one down: working perfectly now!

fixer

I'd like to thank Funnelhead for his time and help in this issue investigation. This was an interesting issue and fixing it wouldn't be possible without him.