Oops I did it again?

Started by Mr.X, May 16, 2017, 09:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.X

Another RulesPack Loop.

Ok this time I was testing an entirely different scenario and I came across an issue I didn't expect to see again so soon.

The original point of the test was to see how much of the setup I could get running on the system yet keep most of the important aspects on a different drive so they could be re-usable across multiple windows installs or even after an OS reinstall. This is so that I can keep existing settings and ReHipsuser profiles.

Here is a sample .bat I was using and storing on the D:\ during my tests.

mklink /j C:\ReHIPS D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPS
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser1
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser2
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser3
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt" mkdir "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt"
IF NOT EXIST "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS" mkdir "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS"
mklink "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS\ReHIPS.xml" D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPS.xml
mklink "C:\Program Files\ReCrypt\ReHIPS\settings.xml" D:\ReHIPS\settings.xml
pause

The ReHIPSUser# profiles worked fine on the original install in my tests.

Around the time I reverted to an old snapshot after then adding the secondary drive (D:) and using the above .bat to create the links to the existing files stored on the D:\ I was going to test how the users worked out as they won't exist within Windows. However before managed to get that far I ran into this issue:

Upon 'fresh install of ReHIPS', while a link to the settings.xml and rehips.xml has been created, we once again have the RulesPack being unable to complete properly and going into an endless loop of launch/exit which in turn creates other issues. This results in ReHIPS not catching launches, etc...
If nothing else I would hope you can add something to detect such links tho being able to operate with them might be preffered.

As a workaround, to complete the original test, I then installed ReHIPS onto the D:\ directly to avoid that particular link issue.

Then came the actual test of using the saved user profiles from the previous install. The settings were saved and visible inside ReHIPS however the issue I was dreading did occur.

While the password is saved in the .xml for each ReHIPSuser, the user itself won't exist on a fresh windows install so all we get is "Failed to logon on program %path% execution".

Might it be possible to check for this scenario, eg does windows have ReHipsUser#, if not and the xml contains password, add the user to windows using the existing password then continue?

This would enable easier cross/multi-os usage if the user has set up the junctions in advance.

Alternatively being able to create a user within ReHIPS manually and specify each accounts password might also work. Perhaps you can think of something better? Or should I just give up on that idea?

fixer

I guess you have copy-paste typos here
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser1
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser2
mklink /j C:\Users\ReHIPSUser1 D:\ReHIPS\ReHIPSUser3
Numbers in the second arguments are the same. Doesn't really matter for this issue, but anyway.

Regarding the issue, RulesPack loop is fixed now, so operating on symlinked files should work, though it's discouraged as file security is probably not as it's supposed to be.

Regarding settings import/export, we have this in our TODO list, but can't tell exactly what version it's planned for as we have items with higher priority right now.

Mr.X

That is certainly possible. But I can't check now that snapshot no longer exists /cry.