[FAQ] Uninstalled ReHIPS, but some files are left

Started by fixer, January 11, 2018, 07:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixer

Sometimes I get question like "I unstalled ReHIPS, why do I see some files left?". Let's see at possible file locations and why these files may remain.

1. ReHIPS installation directory (C:\Program Files\ReHIPS by default). Some ReHIPS executable files (HookDll32.dll and/or HookDll64.dll mostly) may be in use, so it's OK if you see them immediately after uninstall. Don't worry, they'll be automatically removed on reboot/shutdown. Also ReHIPS settings files (ReHIPS.xml, settings.xml and default.rdb mostly) may be kept if you decided not to delete settings answering the uninstaller question "Do you want to delete settings?".

2. ReHIPS users home profile folders (C:\Users\ReHIPSUserX folders). Each isolated environment has a corresponding ReHIPS user. And like every user it has its own home profile folder. When isolated environments are deleted either manually from Control Center or by uninstaller if you decided to remove settings, corresponding ReHIPS users are also removed. Their home profile folders can be kept, if Remove Isolated Environment checkbox on Protection tab of Settings is unchecked (it's checked by default). And just like in the previous case, some files may be in use, so it's OK if you see them immediately after uninstall. Don't worry, they'll be automatically removed on reboot/shutdown.

3. ReHIPS folder (C:\ReHIPS by default). This folder with subfolders is designed to exchange files with isolated programs (it's discussed in detail in one of previous blogposts here https://forum.rehips.com/index.php?topic=9487.0 ). So by definition it may contain some useful files. If this folder and its subfolders are empty, it's deleted. But if they contain some files or unexpected subfolders, there're left as they are not to delete something useful.