Suggestions (GUI) - Usability & design

Started by Umbra, April 16, 2016, 06:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Umbra

hi,

1- put the Install Rules button somewhere in the setting not on main window. Too easy to click it by error then it reload all the vendors we have deleted.

2- make the small handle in the alerts (the one that allow to display the privileges, etc...)  more visible , it is actually too small , people with bad sight will miss it.

crasher

Thanks for your suggestions. Install Rules button relocation is planned on the next release. Issue with small slider icon is added to our TODO list.

Umbra

not urgent because mostly aesthetic feature:

- offer the choice of the isolation border's color.
- add "Setting" link in tray icon options.
- add "Program" link in tray icon options.
- replace "expert/normal/light/training/disabled" in tray icon by just "Levels" which when mouse-overed open a submenu offering the different levels; will reduce height of the main menu.
- as i said in another thread ( https://forum.re-crypt.com/index.php?topic=2088.0)  replace "Normal" and "Light terms".

Light: to "sandbox only" , "sandbox mode" , "isolation" , would be simpler to grasp its concept for beginners.
Normal: to "HIPS", "HIPS mode",etc... (this one may not need rewording)

schelkunov

It's a good idea to rename some protection levels. I suggest to rename Light mode firstly as most of the users don't know what does HIPS mean.

Umbra

Quote from: schelkunov on April 18, 2016, 11:00:54 AM
I suggest to rename Light mode firstly as most of the users don't know what does HIPS mean.

correct

Umbra

sometimes, the alert when launching a new apps doesn't appears at the foreground of the desktop, and stay hidden behind an opened window; i clicked 4 times on the apps thinking it didn't execute  before realizing the alert was not in the foreground.

crasher

Quote from: umbrapolaris on April 18, 2016, 11:23:15 AM
sometimes, the alert when launching a new apps doesn't appears at the foreground of the desktop, and stay hidden behind an opened window; i clicked 4 times on the apps thinking it didn't execute  before realizing the alert was not in the foreground.
It seems you clicked on some other window before alert appeared. One of the solutions is you can set "Alerts Always on Top" checkbox in settings.

faircot

Small point. In the help file (and elsewhere in settings) rename Windows Protection /"Rename windows prefix and Rename windows postfix" to "Rename windows prefix and Rename windows suffix".

fixer

You suggest to change "postfix" to "suffix"? There are no native english-speakers in ReCrypt team. I googled for differences and didn't find any critical. Suffix is more widespread, but we wanted to emphasize that there is PREfix and there is POSTfix. Am I missing something?

HJLBX

Postfix = suffix = ending.  They are the same.

In English, customary use is suffix.

Postfix or suffix is proper, but postfix is rarely used.

Since postfix = suffix, I don't see any reason to fix it.

Umbra

faircot

Quote from: HJLBX on May 24, 2016, 05:47:32 PM
Postfix = suffix = ending.  They are the same.

In English, customary use is suffix.

Postfix or suffix is proper, but postfix is rarely used.

Since postfix = suffix, I don't see any reason to fix it.

I've just checked in the Concise Oxford dictionary and there is no such word as postfix. The correct word is suffix!

paulderdash

Would it be worth considering an 'Install Mode' like NVT ERP, for installing new software - or would that be too much of a compromise of ReHIPS?

aDVll

Quote from: paulderdash on June 02, 2016, 10:42:52 AM
Would it be worth considering an 'Install Mode' like NVT ERP, for installing new software - or would that be too much of a compromise of ReHIPS?
It has a learning mode. What will the difference be from learning to install?

paulderdash